Unions at Disney World score $15 minimum wage and increases for all employees!

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
On Thursday night, Vazquez celebrated with a few hundred union workers as they overwhelmingly approved a new contract that will phase in a $15-an-hour minimum wage by late 2021 and give $1,000 bonuses, which will be taxed and appear in paychecks starting Sept. 27.
Meanwhile in other news...

DISNEY fans are used to saving up spending money before they head off to one of its parks on holiday.
But now it looks like they’ll have to save quite a bit of extra cash – as food prices are going up.
Last week the news out of Walt Disney World revolved around several rounds of cuts that were confirmed for the resort as it continues to grapple with lower-than-expected attendance in 2018. And though you might have thought that these trims might have been enough to pull Disney out of its current slump, it looks like there was another component to this plan waiting to be implemented: price hikes.

Though we already saw 2018's annual theme park ticket price increase back in February, Disney has changed its pricing structure yet again, which will result in higher prices for many visitors who come to the resort this fall

Nov 2006
If the minimum wage going to $15 is what you insinuate is what caused this increase in prices how did Disney know this a year ago? That minimum wage just happened yet those cost increases were nearly a year ago.

Make sure you don't talk about the 20+ billion that costs have gone up because of trumps asinine trade war with China.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
The union negotiators have been ongoing for well over a year.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Jul 2016
BAN THE TROLL!!!!
Are you aware both of your links are from February?. What would that have to do with the recent pay hike?

Are you also aware Disney raises prices on everything in Jan-Feb each year, regardless of employee wages?

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Are you aware both of your links are from February?. What would that have to do with the recent pay hike?

Are you also aware Disney raises prices on everything in Jan-Feb each year, regardless of employee wages?
Disney has been negotiating with the union for over a year. Yes, there are increases in ticket prices each year. I know, because we go quite frequently. Food prices going up 133% is not the normal. Disney employees are union and they make such little in wages. What does that say of the power of those unions?

Jul 2016
BAN THE TROLL!!!!
Disney has been negotiating with the union for over a year. Yes, there are increases in ticket prices each year. I know, because we go quite frequently. Food prices going up 133% is not the normal. Disney employees are union and they make such little in wages. What does that say of the power of those unions?
Gosh...a real expert on Disney because he goes every year! You're sooo special!

I go every year too. Although I don't claim to be an expert like you, I also know that food prices didn't go up 133% wholesale, only certain snacks and drinks. Worldwide. The increases aren't that bad when you look at them. (This has more to do with the increasing inflation under Trump's administration and tariffs than anything)

Snack and food prices are rising at Walt Disney World

October 2, 2018, 6:33 PM · With the calendar flipping to October, it's now a new fiscal year at the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, which means, uh... price "adjustments" throughout the parks.

Case in point — outdoor vending. Fans are reporting price increases at the snack carts around the Walt Disney World Resort.

• Mickey pretzels, up to $7 from $6
  • Mickey ice cream bars and sandwiches, up to $5.75 from $5
  • Popcorn, up to $5 from $4.25
  • Souvenir bucket popcorn refills, up to $2 from $1.75
  • Bottled soda, up to $4.50 from $3.50
  • Bottled water, up to $3.50 from $3
Note also the excellent point made in the comments section...

Replies (24)

Robert Niles
October 2, 2018 at 6:50 PM
Hey, it beats $11 for three frozen waffles, a pillow of whipped cream, and a sprinkling of candy, right?

Oct 2013
Upstate New York
Good for the workers; collective bargaining is always better then going it alone since there is strength in numbers. If people are concerned about the rising prices in food, then they don't have to eat and can wait until they get out of the park to find a cheaper place.

Oct 2013
Upstate New York
It's not just about money, but also terms and conditions of employment which include medical benefits, income savings plans, guaranteed hours of work, a mechanism to settle disputes that arise in the workplace, seniority, etc.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Gosh...a real expert on Disney because he goes every year! You're sooo special!

I go every year too. Although I don't claim to be an expert like you, I also know that food prices didn't go up 133% wholesale, only certain snacks and drinks. Worldwide. The increases aren't that bad when you look at them.
Your post was nothing but trolling and flame baiting. I didn't claim to be an expert. I don't mention the word expert any where in the posts.