Unreliable Nature Of Solar And Wind Makes Electricity More Expensive, New Study Finds

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Do you mean generation or capacity? People like to exchange these terms.

Because of geography; if Germany and the US had the same installed capacity, the US would still see higher electrical generation.
Both, it doesn't matter.

It doesn't really matter, that is why electricity is so much more expensive in Germany because of the government mandates, than it is in the US so German companies have been building private coal fired electricity plants to save money.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Both, it doesn't matter.

It doesn't really matter, that is why electricity is so much more expensive in Germany because of the government mandates, than it is in the US so German companies have been building private coal fired electricity plants to save money.
Well, it does and doesn't matter, I prefer the specifics.

I've been talking about the German cautionary tale in solar from when they made their first major investment. I actually ran the analysis (making some reasonable assumptions) and came to the conclusion that as a best case they were going to lose half of what they invested in solar by the time it came time to replace their grid.

Coal and solar often go hand in hand, it's the only way for those plants to remain classified as "reliable" as far as the grid is concerned is by being able to make up any difference required as needed.