UPDATE: Abuse and torture of 13 children by their parents

Sep 2012
SoCal
This just keeps getting worse...

Details of abuse and torture emerge against couple who kept their 13 children captive

A couple in Perris beat, strangled and shackled their children for years, the abuse escalating from neglect to torture over time, prosecutors said Thursday.
Formal charges were announced Thursday against the parents accused of abusing their 13 children inside their Perris home.

David Turpin, 56, and Louise Turpin, 49, were charged with multiple felony counts of torture, child abuse, abuse of dependent adults and false imprisonment, Riverside County District Attorney Michael Hestrin announced. David Turpin also was charged with one count of a lewd act on a child by force. If convicted, the couple faces up to 94 years to life in prison. They were arrested this week on suspicion of torture and child endangerment.

“As a prosecutor, there are some cases that haunt you,” Hestrin told reporters Thursday. “Some deal with human depravity, and that’s what we’re dealing with here.”
The Turpins’ 13 children, ranging in age from 2 to 29, were captives in the couple’s tract house on Muir Woods Road and appeared to have undergone years of abuse and starvation, authorities said. Some were shackled to their beds.

Hestrin said the children were forced to sleep during the day and were awake only at night. He said that the teenage girl who escaped from the home and alerted police about conditions inside had been “working on a plan to escape this abuse for more than two years.”

The parents would buy food for themselves, but not allow the children to eat it, Hestrin said. The couple would buy apple pies that only he and his wife ate and toys that sat unopened, he said.
Grandparents of starved, shackled children in CA shocked at the news

"Severe, emotional, physical abuse," Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said in announcing charges against David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49. "This is depraved conduct."

Prosecutors filed 12 counts of torture, seven counts of dependent adult abuse, six counts of child abuse and 12 counts of false imprisonment against the couple. David Turpin was additionally charged with one count of a lewd act on a child under age 14.

[...]

In an interview, grandparents of the children said their son's family looked happy and healthy when they last visited California six years ago.

"They were just like any ordinary family," said Betty Turpin, the 81-year-old mother of David Turpin. "And they had such good relationships. I'm not just saying this stuff. These kids, we were amazed. They were 'sweetie' this and 'sweetie' that to each other."

Betty Turpin and her husband, James Turpin, of Princeton, W.Va., visited her son's family for five days at their previous home in Murrieta, Calif.
Betty Turpin told the Southern California News Group on Wednesday that they were still in shock from learning that her son and his wife were arrested.

'They were model Christians'

Betty Turpin said her son told her he had so many kids because God wanted him to. She said her son shared her Pentecostal Christian faith but he wasn't affiliated with a church in California.

"I feel they were model Christians," she said. "It's hard to believe all of this. Over the years, the Lord knows what happened."

James Turpin said during their visit, "they all looked to me well-adjusted. They weren't skinny or nothing. They were joyous to see us."

Reactions: 5 people

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
This whole case gives me the chills. I heard on the radio last night, the children were so malnourished that is affected their cognitive abilities and caused brain damage among other horrific conditions.....from being starved. The children were so isolated, they did not know what a police officer is. They cannot read or write and have very little knowledge of anything. How could anyone keep 13 abused children a secret in a suburb?

Reactions: 5 people

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
This whole case gives me the chills. I heard on the radio last night, the children were so malnourished that is affected their cognitive abilities and caused brain damage among other horrific conditions.....from being starved. The children were so isolated, they did not know what a police officer is. They cannot read or write and have very little knowledge of anything. How could anyone keep 13 abused children a secret in a suburb?
Yeah, I read that to. My husband, daughter and I were talking about this case. It's SO beyond the pale that we have no words.

The Perris DA issued a statement that was great. Evidently the kids are going to be in the hospital for awhile and then moved to out patient clinics until they can get some sense of the world. This story has gotten world wide attention (as it should) and people from all over are stepping with donations. So as horrific as this story is, the one silver lining is that people are stepping up to make these kids get what they need. The oldest was 29 - but only weighed 80 pounds. My heart goes out to him, he's got a tough road ahead.

Reactions: 3 people

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
I wondered about that too. I guess neighbors saw the kids late at night doing "chores" (because the slept all day). I have to wonder why none of them found that a little crazy.

Reactions: 2 people
Oct 2017
south area
They brought North Korea to this neighborhood.

These parents are the scum of the earth. It's like an episode of criminal minds.

Nov 2013
None of your business
And there's no clear confidence that they will resolve cognitive skills, because of their malnutrition during the most critical years for brain growth, these two really are scum of the earth.

Reactions: 2 people