US Army picks a new uniform

May 2012
By the wall
And I think it's absolutely terrific.

I don't think they could have chosen a better one.

1557103957047.png

The United States Army wanted a spiffy new service uniform, one that would stand out in a tough recruiting environment and polish the Army’s image after a generation of grinding and divisive wars.

So it turned the clock back. Way back.

It chose a new uniform that looks almost exactly like the old green gabardine wool field coat and khaki trousers that officers wore in World War II. Probably not by coincidence, that’s what the Army was wearing the last time the nation celebrated total victory in a major war.

“We went back and asked, when is the most prominent time when the Army’s service to our nation was universally recognized, and the answer came very quickly,” said Daniel A. Dailey, the sergeant major of the Army, the highest-ranking enlisted soldier in the service. “That victory, that impact on the nation, is still felt today by the sons and daughters and grandsons and granddaughters of the ‘Greatest Generation.’”
To Stand Out, the Army Picks a New Uniform With a World War II Look

Nov 2016
USA
I like both of them (but my color preference is for the old color - has nothing to do with politics).

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Looks a bit WWII-ish to me, somehow lol

(Not necessarily a bad thing, dress uniforms were damn SHARP in those days :D)

Edit: damn, I said that before even noticed the link below haha

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
It's not only US who went back to 1940s with military uniforms lately, you know.

Putin also brought back the Stalin-era upright collars for Russian generals and admirals and other high officers back in 2017

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
The military changes uniforms for the field, PT and the like from time to time but only the Army changes the expensive service dress kit this radically and this often. It's a recruiting gimmick in the main. They need to decide what their look ought to be, more or less, and stick with it, making modifications based on need. Otherwise it's just a big waste.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
It all looks better than the crap we wore back in the 60's, baseball caps and baggy fatigues with jean pockets..wool dress greens and starched khaki summer wear.