US begins withdrawal from Syria amid uncertainty

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The United States has started withdrawing its troops from Syria, an American military spokesman said on Friday, further muddling the Trump administration’s plans for disengagement from one of the Middle East’s most complex battlefields.

The surprise announcement came in a statement from Col. Sean Ryan, the spokesman for the United States-led coalition against the Islamic State. Colonel Ryan said the coalition had “begun the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria,” adding that he would provide no further information about “specific timelines, locations or troop movements.”

U.S. Troops Begin Syria Withdrawal, Amid Uncertainty Over Strategy

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Good. Let muslim men fight muslim wars.

You forgot Russia.

Then again, their only interest aligns with Iran's here, to make sure the despotic murderer Assad remains in power. You cool with that, too?

And hey, how about our still bffs, the Saudis? Everything cool there, as well?

Jul 2011
NYC
You forgot Russia. Then again, their only interest aligns with Iran's here, to make sure the despotic murderer Assad remains in power. You cool with that too?

I'm not a neocon so I'd rather that depot remain in power than lose one more American life. I've seen war, fighting wars for people who hate us and are unwilling to fight themselves is not something I support.

And fuck saudi arabia.

Oct 2018
I'm not a neocon so I'd rather that depot remain in power than lose one more American life. I've seen war, fighting wars for people who hate us and are unwilling to fight themselves is not something I support.

And fuck saudi arabia.

Well, I can't argue with most of that. TBH, my real concern is Russia's presence there. I would have been fine if it had been a mutual agreement between us and them to pull out, which I don't think would have been all that difficult to pull off in secret.

We should not be selling the Saudis these weapons, either, however. They tend to grow some rather nasty extremists there, as you no doubt know.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
You forgot Russia.

Then again, their only interest aligns with Iran's here, to make sure the despotic murderer Assad remains in power. You cool with that, too?

He ain't entirely wrong: majority of National Guard and Military Police personnel Russia deploys to maintain order and security in Syrian communities these days ARE, in fact, themselves Sunni Muslims from Northern Caucasus, Chechens, Ingushs

It's by design. Easier for them to establish trust and rapport with the locals, particularly in Sunni-majority areas, when people see them come and pray with them in their mosque

;)

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
The United States has started withdrawing its troops from Syria, an American military spokesman said on Friday, further muddling the Trump administration’s plans for disengagement from one of the Middle East’s most complex battlefields.

The surprise announcement came in a statement from Col. Sean Ryan, the spokesman for the United States-led coalition against the Islamic State. Colonel Ryan said the coalition had “begun the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria,” adding that he would provide no further information about “specific timelines, locations or troop movements.”

U.S. Troops Begin Syria Withdrawal, Amid Uncertainty Over Strategy
Anything bad that happens will fall directly into Trump's lap. Sure, he'll dance, lie, bullshit and try to pass the buck, but most people will see that he is responsible. After all, wasn't it the Republicans who blamed Obama for starting ISIS by withdrawing from Iraq? It's the same logic.

Oct 2018
He ain't entirely wrong: majority of National Guard and Military Police personnel Russia deploys to maintain order and security in Syrian communities these days ARE, in fact, themselves Sunni Muslims from Northern Caucasus, Chechens, Ingushs

It's by design. Easier for them to establish trust and rapport with the locals, particularly in Sunni-majority areas, when people see them come and pray with them in their mosque

;)

Yep.

Once again, Putin's savvy strategy trumps that of his puppet.

Anything bad that happens will fall directly into Trump's lap. Sure, he'll dance, lie, bullshit and try to pass the buck, but most people will see that he is responsible. After all, wasn't it the Republicans who blamed Obama for starting ISIS by withdrawing from Iraq? It's the same logic.

As it should.

He obviously didn't start ISIS, but misreading the threat posed by them was certainly a major fuck-up by Obama.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
You forgot Russia.

Agreed. What is happening here is that Trump is ceding control of the ME to the Russians and Iran. This will embolden both to push onto other nations using Syria as a springboard.

The first logical step would be to push into Iraq. Iran hates Iraq and it remains a symbol of US interference. Taking it down gives Russia access to all of its oil, Iran further control of the Persian Gulf, which they consider to be the Iranian Gulf, and to put pressure on Saudi Arabia to sign a concessionary peace deal. After that, both Russia and Iran can push their influence into Afghanistan, Jordan and Pakistan.

MEmap-h.jpg