US could be witnessing 'end of a two-party system': Republican governor

Dec 2015
12,087
7,342
In Your Heart!
#1
US could be witnessing 'end of a two-party system': Republican governor
By Katie Kindelan

"Ohio Gov. John Kasich said he believes Americans could be witnessing the “end of a two-party system.”
“I don't think either party is answering people's deepest concerns and needs,” Kasich told ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl in an interview that aired today on “This Week.” “I mean I don't think it's going to happen tomorrow but I think over time do not be surprised if these millennials and these Gen Xers begin to say, ‘Neither party works, we want something new.’”





====================================================

I certainly don't feel that this is going to happen anytime soon. But millennials do play a very important role in politics these days. And those pre-millennials who are still in High School who have been marching and demonstrating against the gun killings and against Republicans who are so Pro NRA who don't want full gun control legislation will soon become of age to vote. They will not forget! Therefore, they are certainly a force to be reckoned with.

 
Feb 2011
17,484
11,990
The formerly great golden state
#2
US could be witnessing 'end of a two-party system': Republican governor
By Katie Kindelan









====================================================

I certainly don't feel that this is going to happen anytime soon. But millennials do play a very important role in politics these days. And those pre-millennials who are still in High School who have been marching and demonstrating against the gun killings and against Republicans who are so Pro NRA who don't want full gun control legislation will soon become of age to vote. They will not forget! Therefore, they are certainly a force to be reckoned with.

Kasich is right. Neither party is answering people's deepest concerns and needs. Nether party reflects the philosophy of the majority of Americans. The parties have become so polarized and politics so partisan that the government has become dysfunctional.
 
Likes: 2 people
Sep 2011
24,999
17,444
aMEEErica
#4
People who believe a multi-party system will work haven't thought it through.

For instance, suppose there are three parties... most people are going to belong to the party in the middle, effectively giving us one-party rule.

Suppose there are several parties, say 10...

Okay, now you have a party running the country that got 10%, maybe a little more, leaving the other 90% on the side.

Thx :popcorn:
 
Jul 2013
55,127
59,512
Nashville, TN
#5
People who believe a multi-party system will work haven't thought it through.

For instance, suppose there are three parties... most people are going to belong to the party in the middle, effectively giving us one-party rule.

Suppose there are several parties, say 10...

Okay, now you have a party running the country that got 10%, maybe a little more, leaving the other 90% on the side.

Thx :popcorn:
In a Parliamentary system, those small parties form coalitions and the primary parties have to make concessions to cobble together a majority that can rule.
 
Likes: 3 people
Sep 2011
24,999
17,444
aMEEErica
#6
In a Parliamentary system, those small parties form coalitions and the primary parties have to make concessions to cobble together a majority that can rule.
Oh, so all it's going to take is some cooperation and compromise...

We basically have the same thing here, each party represents a variety of issues, we just choose sides up front.

Thx :untroubled:
 
Last edited:
Jul 2013
55,127
59,512
Nashville, TN
#8
The way our system is set up, only a two party system works, any third party that is sufficiently popular, will simply replace one of the two existant parties. Re: Republicans replaced Whigs, Dixiecrats failed to replace Democrats.
 
Sep 2011
24,999
17,444
aMEEErica
#10
The way our system is set up, only a two party system works, any third party that is sufficiently popular, will simply replace one of the two existant parties. Re: Republicans replaced Whigs, Dixiecrats failed to replace Democrats.
With three parties, the one in the middle is most often going to win.

So that would take any of the need to debate out of the equation.

It is better to pass no laws than bad ones that go through on the nod, laws need to pass the test of earnest debate first.

Thx :)
 

Similar Discussions