US extracted top spy from inside Russia in 2017

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
In a previously undisclosed secret mission in 2017, the United States successfully extracted from Russia one of its highest-level covert sources inside the Russian government, multiple Trump administration officials with direct knowledge told CNN.

A person directly involved in the discussions said that the removal of the Russian was driven, in part, by concerns that President Donald Trump and his administration repeatedly mishandled classified intelligence and could contribute to exposing the covert source as a spy.The decision to carry out the extraction occurred soon after a May 2017 meeting in the Oval Office in which Trump discussed highly classified intelligence with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and then-Russian Ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak. The intelligence, concerning ISIS in Syria, had been provided by Israel.

The disclosure to the Russians by the President, though not about the Russian spy specifically, prompted intelligence officials to renew earlier discussions about the potential risk of exposure, according to the source directly involved in the matter.

At the time, then-CIA Director Mike Pompeo told other senior Trump administration officials that too much information was coming out regarding the covert source, known as an asset. An extraction, or "exfiltration" as such an operation is referred to by intelligence officials, is an extraordinary remedy when US intelligence believes an asset is in immediate danger.

Exclusive: US extracted top spy from inside Russia in 2017 - CNNPolitics

This is NOT a one time thing btw

So he is literally damaging our national security.

NOT NORMAL

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Exclusive: US extracted top spy from inside Russia in 2017

A person directly involved in the discussions said that the removal of the Russian was driven, in part, by concerns that President Donald Trump and his administration repeatedly mishandled classified intelligence and could contribute to exposing the covert source as a spy.

The decision to carry out the extraction occurred soon after a May 2017 meeting in the Oval Office in which Trump discussed highly classified intelligence with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and then-Russian Ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak. The intelligence, concerning ISIS in Syria, had been provided by Israel.
Trump's big mouth is a terrible risk to our intelligence organizations.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Yeah, saw reports on this today, in Russian media. There's a bit of a scandal, some question why Russian special services apparently allowed this extraction to take place. Either they actually missed it; or it was deliberate, and some sort of covert shadow deal took place, behind the scenes... In which case, the US would have had to give up something or someone too, in return. All thanks to Trump, yeah...

Dec 2018
Florida
As far as the espionage bullshit goes? I am a strong believer in intelligence. It is very important. I’ve also read a lot of stuff on it (including in my college foreign policy classes). So this kind of stuff happens all the time. Compromised sources by idiot politicians or bureaucrats. It happens. All part of the spy game.

But? What is more concerning to me is how quickly the news found out about this. I know. 2017. But still. Obviously the intent of this report is to damage Trump. Right at election season. That strikes me as...interesting. I don’t like that. Not at all. That stinks to me. And don’t get me wrong. Not a fan of trump anyway. I wouldn’t trust him with any form of national security. But still. This just seems? Fast? So I am questioning the reason for the leak and what the other part of the story is.

There is a reason my foreign policy views revolve around the idea that the United States should be seeking stable strong economic positions and avoiding the military conflict angle. Not that we can trust other nations to be the top military power. I’d love to see a return to a more isolationist policy. But that won’t happen.