US no longer fit to lead the world

Jan 2016
Colorado
Tell Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, and Pakistan what a benevolent hegemon we are.

What's funny is, the British empire at least felt some degree of "white man's burden." We just flatten countries and then install a bunch of Chicago Boy free-marketeers to profit from the anarchy and suffering.

Sorry, but you need to quit lying to yourself. Okay, World War II, yes, but since then we've been a net horror to the rest of the world, and one day we're going to have to confront this, just like every other colonizing empire has had to do.
There's something to be said for the benefits of having a strong empire in the world. The Pax Romana, from 31 BC to ~230 AD, was an era of peasant prosperity stretching across Europe the likes of which had never been seen before. The brief Pax Mongolica had similar benefits. The Pax Britannica from 1815 to 1914 was a century of peace and prosperity unlike anything the world had seen before that.

Pax Americana - Wikipedia

Mar 2019
TN
China has already passed the US in new car sales. They'll catch up to our total economy in the next decade or so. Their middle class is growing in affluence. They have more people in there middle class than we have people period. On the flip side they've not pissed away $3 trillion dollars on useless and never ending wars in the middle east. China is a world power and they are elevating much of Asia as they grow. Anyone that thinks they aren't going to be major players on the world stage is just delusional. Russia has several times our land mass. They have enormous resources but only half our population. I have long thought we missed a prime opportunity when the old Soviet Union collapsed. We should have treated Russia the way we did Germany and Japan after WW2. We should have lead their conversion to a capitalist system. They had only cataloged maybe 10% of their natural resources and didn't have the financing or technology to make use of them. We could have made their economy dependent on ours making them allies as we went.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
TRUMP is dividing the country? It ain't Trump talkin' about "Race" all the time. Dems are.It ain't Trump trying to overthrow Congress. Other way around. It ain't Trump who advocates "Multi-Culturalism" ,which does indeed divide Americans. It is the LEFT. It ain't Trump who harps on how DIFFERENT folks have different rights. The LEFT came up with "Protected Groups". As to "The World" ? Who cares?
Yes, trump is diving the country. But you already know this. If you can't see it, it's only because you choose not to. All you have to do is listen to him talk. Anyone who disagrees with him is considered the enemy.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
We disagree.

That's OK, who'd want to be on an "echo chamber" forum where everyone agrees all the time?

And have the same viewpoints?

Oh wait, some people DO want that...
Nah, that would get boring if everyone was right all of the time like me.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
There's no doubt that America is suffering from a bad case of what historian Paul Kennedy of Yale University called imperial overstretch. In his rather famous book The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers: Economic Conflict and Military Conflict From 1500 to 2000, he described how imperial overstretch led to the decline of both the Hapsburg/Spanish Empire of the 15th and 16th centuries and the British Empire of the 17th-20th centuries, and projected how this could affect the American Empire.

And yet, as America inevitably withdraws from the world, the result is NOT going to be a more peaceful and harmonious world, contrary to what some naïve posters in this thread are evidently expecting. Large parts of the world will be ruled by brutal tyrants, and other large parts of the world will fall into utter anarchy, littered by failed states that will become hotbeds of terrorism and radical ideologies bent on destruction. We are headed for a very troubled period in world history. The 2020's and 2030's are not going to be 'nice'.

Have a nice day!
It seems that every very expensive endeavor we has done as far as wars for regime changes...we just make things worse in the ME and the US citizens have paid the price for it. The ME is used to brutal dictators...it is all they know for the most part. We cannot force a honest democracy in some of those Countries. Iraq and A STan will be miserable and expensive failures...because they are already slipping back into what they were before. I definitely do not trust any type of military action under our current CIC. I believe you are correct....the world has gone nuts. Fortunately for us....we are a far distance from this brutality. We as a Nation, really do not get the fact that we have the best neighbors on each end of the the US. If we left the ME alone and stayed out of their issues...they would eventually work this out among themselves. At my age, I am more worried about having sustainable healthcare when I can't work anymore. I would rather dump all that expense into sustainability of our safety nets...this is what we pay taxes for.

Mar 2019
California
Yes, trump is diving the country. But you already know this. If you can't see it, it's only because you choose not to. All you have to do is listen to him talk. Anyone who disagrees with him is considered the enemy.
That is because He is always RIGHT.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
It seems that every very expensive endeavor we has done as far as wars for regime changes...we just make things worse in the ME and the US citizens have paid the price for it. The ME is used to brutal dictators...it is all they know for the most part. We cannot force a honest democracy in some of those Countries. Iraq and A STan will be miserable and expensive failures...because they are already slipping back into what they were before. I definitely do not trust any type of military action under our current CIC. I believe you are correct....the world has gone nuts. Fortunately for us....we are a far distance from this brutality. We as a Nation, really do not get the fact that we have the best neighbors on each end of the the US. If we left the ME alone and stayed out of their issues...they would eventually work this out among themselves. At my age, I am more worried about having sustainable healthcare when I can't work anymore. I would rather dump all that expense into sustainability of our safety nets...this is what we pay taxes for.
What you dont want to invade Venezuela to change their leadership? :rolleyes:

Mar 2019
California
With ANWAR open ,their OIL is no longer necessary. Best to leave 'em to their own devices. Leave all of the "Istans" alone.Their own evil will catch up with 'em.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
With ANWAR open ,their OIL is no longer necessary. Best to leave 'em to their own devices. Leave all of the "Istans" alone.Their own evil will catch up with 'em.
They will eventually destroy themselves. Their ideology (Islam) is too ingrained in their governing. It is all about power.