US shooter wins 'gold' at Rio Olympics

Mar 2015
UK
first 'Gold' for the USA...

Shooter Virginia Thrasher wins first U.S. gold at Rio Olympics

Virginia Thrasher went through a three-week spring whirlwind, winning three NCAA titles and a spot on the U.S. Olympic Shooting team.

The precocious 19-year-old closed out the summer with her biggest surprise yet.

Keeping her nerve on sport's biggest stage, Thrasher on Saturday earned the first gold medal of the Rio Olympics, outlasting two-time gold medalist Du Li to capture the women's 10-meter air rifle title.

"This is beyond my wildest dreams," Thrasher said. "I knew it was a realistic expectation for me to get into the finals and once you get into the finals, anything can happen. For me, this year has been incredible."

more to read: Shooter Virginia Thrasher wins first U.S. gold at Rio Olympics - Chicago Tribune

Jul 2011
Tennessee
very sad to see the lefties in the media with this headline. US shooter!!

the term "shooter" is a deliberate reference in order to push gun control.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
very sad to see the lefties in the media with this headline. US shooter!!

the term "shooter" is a deliberate reference in order to push gun control.
Holy hell, the delicate little snowflakes we have to deal with these days. Fret not, it's not an anti-gun campaign. According to the International Olympic Committee, she competes in a sport called "shooting".

Olympic Shooting.JPG
https://www.olympic.org/sports

According to the U.S. Olympic Team she competes on the...

USA Shooting Team | USA Shooting

So, you think it's misleading to label an athlete who competes in the sport of shooting on the U.S. Shooting Team, a "shooter"?
There, there... it'll be okay. You and your political correctness.

Next thing you know you'll be upset that an athlete who plays ball is referred to as a ballplayer.