US Trade Deficit 10 year High. 55 Billion

Sep 2014
South FL
The trade deficit can be poorly understood. Fact is a trade deficit means that we are actually on the receiving end of foreign investment. Whenever the US runs a trade deficit it also runs an identical sized capital account surplus.

Jun 2018
Florida
Americans snap up imports because they have no choice. Take a walk through WalMart, and examine the merchaindise. It's all imported. That's because of the policies of Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 43, and Obama. Trump is the first one to do something about it, and the repair is just beginning now.

At the end of this truce period we'll see what happens THEN, and Trump still has 2 more years left in his term. Plenty more time left to fix the trade deficit. Thankfully, we finally have a president who is actually doing that.

Jun 2018
Florida
Trump is not trying to beat anything. His trade deficits exists and will continue to exist because trump's tariffs did not cause his trade imbalances.

Trump's moronic tariffs did nothing but exacerbate the deficits.

Trump going back to square one fixes nothing.
Never judge an artist's painting when it is still in the process of being painted. :neutral:

Nov 2014
North Carolina
Americans snap up imports because they have no choice. Take a walk through WalMart, and examine the merchaindise. It's all imported. That's because of the policies of Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 43, and Obama. Trump is the first one to do something about it, and the repair is just beginning now.

At the end of this truce period we'll see what happens THEN, and Trump still has 2 more years left in his term. Plenty more time left to fix the trade deficit. Thankfully, we finally have a president who is actually doing that.
Agreed.

To blame Trump for our trade deficits when he is likely the only President in the last 50 years who actually gave a shit about them is pretty stupid.

Bush and Clinton deserve the lion's share of blame, as they were the ones who devised and implemented these trade policies. Though I"m sure it worked out great for their corporate cronies who got filthy rich off of it.

I give Trump kudos for standing up to China as much as he has. He did renegotiate NAFTA. Manufacturing and GDP have gone up under his watch. So he hasn't been a failure despite what this ridiculous partisan thread may say.

But he hasn't been as effective as could have been either. He still hasn't implemented his 35% tax on American companies that manufacture abroad. He still hasn't built the border wall to stop the flow of cheap labor into this country. These are significant failures. I"m sure those spineless corrupt wretches in congress deserve most of the blame for it. But still, Trump is ultimately accountable for his campaign promises.

Jun 2018
Florida
Agreed.

To blame Trump for our trade deficits when he is likely the only President in the last 50 years who actually gave a shit about them is pretty stupid.

Bush and Clinton deserve the lion's share of blame, as they were the ones who devised and implemented these trade policies. Though I"m sure it worked out great for their corporate cronies who got filthy rich off of it.

I give Trump kudos for standing up to China as much as he has. He did renegotiate NAFTA. Manufacturing and GDP have gone up under his watch. So he hasn't been a failure despite what this ridiculous partisan thread may say.

But he hasn't been as effective as could have been either. He still hasn't implemented his 35% tax on American companies that manufacture abroad. He still hasn't built the border wall to stop the flow of cheap labor into this country. These are significant failures. I"m sure those spineless corrupt wretches in congress deserve most of the blame for it. But still, Trump is ultimately accountable for his campaign promises.
On New Years Day 2021, I'll take a good hard look at all this. That is, at Trump and the congress both. And I'm going to be looking for who has been continuing to endorse the policy of giving China et al unrestricted access to our US market, while they slap us with 40% tariffs.