US Troops do not view immigration as a ‘national emergency.’

Jan 2016
Colorado
A bipartisan group of 58 former U.S. government national security officials have signed a Joint Declaration that directly challenges President Donald Trump’s proclamation of national emergency to allow the use of billions of dollars in otherwise unavailable funds to build a wall at the southern border. The declarants notably include officials who served in the Trump administration, including the former U.S. Ambassador to Mexico, U.S. Ambassador to Panama, Director of the National Counterterrorism Center, and Assistant Secretary for International Engagement at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The declarants “support the President’s power to mobilize the Executive Branch to respond quickly in genuine national emergencies” but state that “under no plausible assessment of the evidence is there a national emergency today that entitles the President to tap into funds appropriated for other purposes to build a wall at the southern border.”

Exclusive: Full Text of Bipartisan Declaration of Former Senior U.S. Officials Refuting President’s Claim of a National Emergency at Southern Border
PaulSmith69 will probably call this a 'tiny sample size', too.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Troops do not view immigration as a ‘national emergency.’ Not even close.
Much more pressing concerns, in the eyes of troops, included cyber terrorism, Russia and China. White nationalists were also viewed as a greater threat than immigration.
...snip...
Turns out our troops are right.. Breaking: New Zealand mass shootings at two Mosques

Good thing the US agencies now have these far-right terrorists on their radar before something like what occurred in NZ happens in the USA.

Nov 2010
San Diego...ish
Unlike President Donald Trump, troops don’t seem to view either immigration across our southern border or Mexico itself as much of a national-security threat, the results of a recent Military Times poll suggest.

An October Military Times poll of nearly 900 active-duty troops found that 60 percent believed immigration was either a small threat to U.S. national security or no threat at all. Only 23 percent labeled the issue as a significant or very significant threat. Likewise, 77 percent of respondents viewed Mexico as a small threat or none whatsoever, and only 9 percent described it as a significant or very significant threat.

Much more pressing concerns, in the eyes of troops, included cyber terrorism, Russia and China. White nationalists were also viewed as a greater threat than immigration.
...snip...

Interesting to see the priorities of our troops. and good call on that bolded bit above.
There are too many questions about this poll to believe that it actually shows what you intend it to show. The poll says that "60 percent believed immigration was either a small threat to U.S. national security or no threat at all". Where these two separate answers such as:

a) Small threat
b) No threat

or were they included together as one answer? If they were two separate answers, what percent chose "small threat" and what percent chose "no threat"? Was "small threat" defined or was it left to those being polled to figure out what they meant by it? With such a small sample size, and without knowing exactly what questions were asked, how can we decide that this is actually a meaningful poll or one that was deliberately worded to draw the conclusions that the pollsters were looking for?

Mar 2019
DE, US
Unlike President Donald Trump, troops don’t seem to view either immigration across our southern border or Mexico itself as much of a national-security threat, the results of a recent Military Times poll suggest.

An October Military Times poll of nearly 900 active-duty troops found that 60 percent believed immigration was either a small threat to U.S. national security or no threat at all. Only 23 percent labeled the issue as a significant or very significant threat. Likewise, 77 percent of respondents viewed Mexico as a small threat or none whatsoever, and only 9 percent described it as a significant or very significant threat.

...snip...

Interesting to see the priorities of our troops. and good call on that bolded bit above.
I left the military in Jan '74, so I can't speak for the present day military, but I don't think it's changed. Our orders were to not get involved in politics or domestic situations. We were told our job was to obey lawful orders and leave those other things to civilians. We were also told we better be really sure to question whether an order is lawful, though we were given some possible remedy called a request mast, where you can go up the chain of command in certain situations.

I don't think I'm unique in believing an order to shoot a civilian is not a lawful order. Such an order from a President would have to go thru many levels in the chain of command to reach the enlisted men needed to do so. .

Jan 2016
Colorado
Ummmm...58 is smaller than 900.
Gee, what a brilliant point you make. [That was sarcasm, laddie.] What do you suppose the total population of high-level national security experts who rank as "former SENIOR U.S. officials" might be?

Here is the correct answer: Only a few hundred. That's it.

So, when 58 of them choose to speak out on an issue of national importance, here is what we should all do: we should sit up and PAY ATTENTION.

PAY ATTENTION, BUDDY!!

Nov 2010
San Diego...ish
Gee, what a brilliant point you make. [That was sarcasm, laddie.] What do you suppose the total population of high-level national security experts who rank as "former SENIOR U.S. officials" might be?

Here is the correct answer: Only a few hundred. That's it.

So, when 58 of them choose to speak out on an issue of national importance, here is what we should all do: we should sit up and PAY ATTENTION.

PAY ATTENTION, BUDDY!!
Why so sensitive Susan? Did you corner the sarcasm market and are running a monopoly now?

Apr 2012

...snip...

The troops must obey the President

Apr 2012
I left the military in Jan '74, so I can't speak for the present day military, but I don't think it's changed. Our orders were to not get involved in politics or domestic situations. We were told our job was to obey lawful orders and leave those other things to civilians. We were also told we better be really sure to question whether an order is lawful, though we were given some possible remedy called a request mast, where you can go up the chain of command in certain situations.

I don't think I'm unique in believing an order to shoot a civilian is not a lawful order. Such an order from a President would have to go thru many levels in the chain of command to reach the enlisted men needed to do so. .
It is when they are invading this country by the millions. I also got out of the USAF in 1974