US walks out on Ahmadinejad's UN speech

Apr 2010
US walks out on Ahmadinejad's UN speech

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer Ali Akbar Dareini, Associated Press Writer 32 mins ago

UNITED NATIONS – The [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]U.S. [COLOR=#366388 ! important]delegation[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] walked out of the U.N. speech of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Thursday after he said some in the world have speculated that Americans were behind the Sept. 11 terror attacks, staged in an attempt to assure [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]Israel's [COLOR=#366388 ! important]survival[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]....

Ahmadinejad has called for the [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]destruction [COLOR=#366388 ! important]of [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388 ! important]Israel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and is deeply at odds with the United States and European allies over its nuclear program and suspicions that it is designed to produce an atomic bomb. Iran says it is only working on technology for [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]electricity [COLOR=#366388 ! important]generation[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].

The U.S. delegation left the hall after [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]Ahmadinejad[/COLOR][/COLOR] said there were three theories about the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks:
_That "powerful and complex terrorist group" penetrated U.S. intelligence and defenses.
_"That some segments within the U.S. government orchestrated the attack to reverse the declining American economy and its grips on the Middle East in order also to save the [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]Zionist [COLOR=#366388 ! important]regime[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. The majority of the American people as well as other nations and politicians agree with this view."

The Americans stood and walked out without listening to the third theory, that the attack was the work of "a terrorist group but the American government supported and took advantage of the situation."

Mark Kornblau, spokesman of the U.S. Mission to the world body, issued a statement within moments of Ahmadinejad's attack.

"Rather than representing the aspirations and goodwill of the Iranian people," he said, "Mr. Ahmadinejad has yet again chosen to spout vile conspiracy theories and anti-Semitic slurs that are as abhorrent and delusional as they are predictable."
Ahmadinejad, who has in the past cast doubt over the U.S. version of the Sept. 11 attacks, called for establishment of an independent fact-finding U.N. body to probe the attacks and stop it from turning into another sacred issue where "expressing opinion about it won't be banned".

He said the U.S. used the attacks as a pretext to invade Afghanistan and Iraq that led to the killing of hundreds of thousands of people, saying the U.S. should have "designed a logical plan" to punish the perpetrators while not sheding so much blood.
Ahmadinejad boasted of the capture in February of Abdulmalik Rigi, the leader of an armed Sunni group whose insurgency in the southeast of Iran has destabilized the border region with Pakistan. He said authorities did not resort to violence, but captured the suspect after trailing his movements in an operation by Iranian secret agents. Rigi was later hanged.

The Iranian leader spoke of threats to burn the Quran by a small American church in Florida to mark the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks. Although that church backed down, several copycat burnings were posted on the Internet and broadcast in the Muslim world.

"Very recently the world witnessed the ugly and inhumane act of burning the holy Quran," Ahmadinejad said.

How dreadfully immature of the US contingent. Running away again? Accept for the "virulently patriotic" (read 'credulous blind believers') "my country right or wrong crowd" there is common sense and logic to what Abeemahoositz says. Many Americans believe it. America is where the 9-11 conspiracy theorists first arose. If America thinks its own government is capable of such an act why should Abeemahoositz not have the right to speculate? Both the JFK conspiracy and the 9-11 conspiracy have republicans in common. Think about it. Would dubya, who failed at everything in his life that his daddy didn't spoon feed him, pass up a chance for nearly unlimited personal wealth for simply turning a blind eye to what smarter men are doing?

K

katiegrrl0

Walking out was childish. Sitting there and laughing at him would have been better. Just letting him ramble would have been the best. They could have then got down to business of the UN without mention of Ahmadinejad's speech. It would have been like making him the invisible man.

Seraphima

Former Staff
Aug 2010
I personally quite like that they walked out - it sends a very clear message. Staying and listening to this idiot's drivel would only encourage a response. Sometimes it is best just to walk away.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
Yeah - I don't know why it's the two Canadians that agree with it, but I also think it was pretty fair and reasonable to walk out.

Standing up and making a big scene or booing him or something would have been childish but I think standing up and walking out on a guy who's deliberately being an ass is hardcore. I kind of like it.

I don't buy the 911 conspiracy but even if it's true it's hardly the appropriate time and place to be spouting off about it. This guy uses the UN like it's his personal soap box. It's not. I paid taxes into Canada's UN commitments and I wish we'd walked out too (if we'd been there). The UN is not a place for world leaders to vent out whatever their pet peeves are. Completely wasting everyone's time and walking out is a good response to having your time wasted.

K

katiegrrl0

Yeah - I don't know why it's the two Canadians that agree with it, but I also think it was pretty fair and reasonable to walk out.

Standing up and making a big scene or booing him or something would have been childish but I think standing up and walking out on a guy who's deliberately being an ass is hardcore. I kind of like it.

I don't buy the 911 conspiracy but even if it's true it's hardly the appropriate time and place to be spouting off about it. This guy uses the UN like it's his personal soap box. It's not. I paid taxes into Canada's UN commitments and I wish we'd walked out too (if we'd been there). The UN is not a place for world leaders to vent out whatever their pet peeves are. Completely wasting everyone's time and walking out is a good response to having your time wasted.
Sure he uses it as a soapbox. I just think ignoring him would have served the purpose.

Oct 2010
Talk about Childish. Imagine if America had a lame arse Statement to say to the UN and Nations walked out. Repubs would be up in arms and calling us to invade those nations or claiming they were against America or claim they were supporting Americas enemies.

K

katiegrrl0

Talk about Childish. Imagine if America had a lame arse Statement to say to the UN and Nations walked out. Repubs would be up in arms and calling us to invade those nations or claiming they were against America or claim they were supporting Americas enemies.
It seems as if the US is acting like it is five years old. Next they will be kicking their feet in the halls.

Jul 2011
Detention Block AA-23
Just make a parking lot of the UN already. That's primo real estate.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
I walked out of a job interview once. The job posting said "sports industry, no sales". The job was selling kitchen knives (and one hunting knife) door to door. AFTER you buy them you got to go sell them . I didn't say a word, just up and left.

I don't think I was childish, I think they had genuinely demonstrated such lack of respect for my time that I was under no obligation to extend them any courtesy whatsoever.

Nov 2010
I know, that's what I thought. What babies. ISn't there a better way to show disagreement with what is being said then walking out like babies?

But to think there is a conspiracy here is absurd. Nothing is private anymore, pepole can't keep secrets. Its conspiracy theory plain and simple. The only thing that could even pass as maybe legit is Bush and co ignoring intelligence and letting it happen to further their agenda. BUt part of the planning? Come on, that would leak out and not be kept secret and shouldn't be given any thoughts of reality, just another conspiracy theory