USDA under fire for backing 'meatless Mondays,' linking ranching to climate change

Apr 2012
What a load of gov't bullshit.

The Agriculture Department is under fire from ranchers and Capitol Hill after encouraging employees to go vegetarian one day a week and warning that meat production contributes to climate change.

The department has since backed away from the statements, but not before causing a bovine brouhaha, particularly at a time when the drought is threatening America's ranchers.

"This move by USDA should be condemned by anyone who believes agriculture is fundamental to sustaining life on this planet," said J.D. Alexander, president of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association

Read more: USDA under fire for backing 'meatless Mondays,' linking ranching to climate change | Fox News

Nov 2010
What is wrong with what they are doing? it's healthier for people to not eat meat. One day a week without meat? The amount of energy used to produce meat is staggering, so there is nothing detrimental there.

Not eating meat one day a week is not going to make the agricultural businesses in this country fold or even be harmed, they make shit loads of money, plenty of meat is eaten.

Reactions: Morgan

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I saw on CSPAN yesterday a Republican get up and whine about this. His complaint had to do with the Dept. of Agriculture should be "promoting agriculture" and the the rep's opinion "Meatless Monday" in the Congressional cafeteria flew in the face of that.

I beg to differ. It wasn't a call to fast for the day, just eat other stuff instead of meat. Like grains, fruits and veggies. That stuff is agriculture also.

Apparently yesterday was "bullshit Wednesday" and oh, look - they won.

Retracting a Plug for Meatless Mondays

Reactions: Babba

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
I would think that these idiots would have something better to do then try to tell us what to eat. Another worthless government agency.

Eating meat contributes to global warming, what a hoot.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I would think that these idiots would have something better to do then try to tell us what to eat. Another worthless government agency.

They're not telling us what to eat. No one passed a law about it. They're informing us that too much red meat isn't good for us as individuals and is contributing to the degradation of the environment.

Reactions: Rasselas

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
They're not telling us what to eat. No one passed a law about it. They're informing us that too much red meat isn't good for us as individuals and is contributing to the degradation of the environment.
Why not just do their fucking jobs and not worry about what we eat? Meatless Mondays, that is a joke. Hell I doubling up just because I tired of control freaks.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio

You don't find it a bit ironic that the meat industry, which receives beacoup tax credits, cheap grazing rights on public land, and subsidies while lobbying for this sort of thing to be legal:

Hormones used in beef and veal production, called anabolic agents, are used to promote growth in body tissues so that livestock can reach a high slaughter weight quickly. The three natural hormones used in meat production, estradiol, progesterone, and testosterone, are biologically occurring substances in both animals and humans. The other three legal hormones used in meat production, melengestrol acetate, trenbolone acetate, and zeranol are artificially produced in laboratory environments. While the three natural anabolic agents are more readily used in the animal’s body than their artificial counterparts when used properly, but they are more costly and difficult to produce, since they can only be derived from animals. Both the natural and artificial hormones have proven to be very effective at speeding up animal growth and improving farm efficiency.
And now they are whining over this? Fuck them, I want my tax money back.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Why not just do their fucking jobs and not worry about what we eat? Meatless Mondays, that is a joke. Hell I doubling up just because I tired of control freaks.
No one is forcing you to go meatless on Monday. They're just explaining to you that it would be healthier for you if you did and it would be good for the environment. But no one is forcing you to do this. How are you being controlled here?

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
What a load of gov't bullshit.

The Agriculture Department is under fire from ranchers and Capitol Hill after encouraging employees to go vegetarian one day a week and warning that meat production contributes to climate change.

The department has since backed away from the statements, but not before causing a bovine brouhaha, particularly at a time when the drought is threatening America's ranchers.

"This move by USDA should be condemned by anyone who believes agriculture is fundamental to sustaining life on this planet," said J.D. Alexander, president of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association

Read more: USDA under fire for backing 'meatless Mondays,' linking ranching to climate change | Fox News
So? It's just advice, and idea. Feel free to ignore it if you wish. Jeeez, you're always crying and whining about something.