VA Lt Gov accused of sexual assault

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Kasie Hunt from MSNBC put out a tweet:

UPDATE: Lt. Gov. Fairfax’s chief of staff and policy director acknowledge to @NBCNews that the lt. gov. used the “F” word to refer to the situation, but dispute that he used the “B” word at all or used any heated language directed toward Vanessa Tyson.

Kasie Hunt (@kasie) | Twitter

Well that is certainly going to be a boost to his popularity stats.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Virginia Democratic Congressman Bobby Scott was made aware of allegations of sexual assault against now-Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax over a year ago by the alleged victim herself, ABC News has learned.

Scott learned of the allegations directly from Dr. Vanessa Tyson, who on Wednesday released a statement detailing the alleged 2004 assault, which took place at the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

Fairfax vehemently denies the assault claim.

Accuser told congressman of alleged sexual assault a year ago: Aides

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Especially after the campaign that Northam ran against Ed Gillespie which repeatedly accused him of being racist and tried to associate him with the Charlottesville marchers. There was an ad with a pickup truck flying a confederate flag and a Gillespie bumper sticker chasing down minority children. If this would have come out while Northam was running that kind of campaign, it would have devastated him.
Now here's the question. Democrats are calling on Northam to resign now. But they are doing so knowing that his seat would be filled by his progressive Lt Governor. And even if he goes because of the assault allegations, the Attorney General is a Democrat too. So Democrats aren't giving up any power. But suppose this came out during the campaign. Would they be so willing to condemn Northam if they knew that it would cost them a governor seat?
I posed that question earlier in one of the threads about this. Would people be so quick to demand resignation of it meant a Republican got the seat?

Slippery slope with this stuff.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I posed that question earlier in one of the threads about this. Would people be so quick to demand resignation of it meant a Republican got the seat?

I think we all got ourselves into this sort of thing with a zero tolerance policy on almost everything these days. There was a piece on CNN this morning where they showed the 1980 yearbook for the U of North Carolina. There were over 54 pages of students in blackface and even three photos of klan garments and nooses. Apparently in many parts of the south this was a common thing. It certainly has surprised many Americans.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

A Republican won't get the seat. Under any plausible scenario.

The three politicians currently in the cross hairs are all independent events. As long as they don't all resign before any one of them is replaced then the Democrats will hold continue to hold the Governor's office.

Jan 2019
Between Missouri-Kansas
There two claims here... Dr. Vanessa Tyson, who claims to have been sexual assaulted by a person (Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax) who she invited to "her hotel room". Correct? The other one (Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax says it was nothing other for the two to have sex, which is normal when two humans agree sex is the way to please each other. If one or the other doesn't agree to having sex, that person should have said "no", and there ends the agreement.

I remember way back in 1953 when I was in the Navy, and one of the squadron members was charged with rape by a girl who's father was a very wealthy man in San Diego, Ca. When the trail came up and I was ask to be there to vouch for his behavior and conduct. The Judge ask the Court Clerk to obtain a "needle and thread", and when that was obtained, she (the Judge) gave the piece of thread to the plaintiff's lawyer and the Judge held the needle up and ask the lawyer to put (try) to insert the thread in the eye of the needle. After many unsuccessful tries, the Judge order the case closed. Now! you know rest of the story.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
A Republican won't get the seat. Under any plausible scenario.

The three politicians currently in the cross hairs are all independent events. As long as they don't all resign before any one of them is replaced then the Democrats will hold continue to hold the Governor's office.

In this case, you're right. But there's bound to be a case where this happens in the future. Calls for Virginia politicians to resign need to be limited to Virginians. Preferably those who voted him into office. And the same goes for all states, IMO. It's enough already with "Twitter outrage" driving these things.

And cable news needs to quit using Twitter trends, gossip & consensual sex to drive headlines because they think it will attract more eyeballs. If scandals & fake outrage take over the Democratic primary coverage we're doomed.

Issues, not personalities.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Yet you didn't believe Dr. Ford - why?

Talk about "taking" sides. Again.
Because her own witnesses couldn't validate her story while Karen Monahan has provided plenty of documentation.
I haven't decided yet if I think the accusation against Justine Fairfax is credible or not yet.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
In this case, you're right. But there's bound to be a case where this happens in the future. Calls for Virginia politicians to resign need to be limited to Virginians. Preferably those who voted him into office. And the same goes for all states, IMO. It's enough already with "Twitter outrage" driving these things.

And cable news needs to quit using Twitter trends, gossip & consensual sex to drive headlines because they think it will attract more eyeballs. If scandals & fake outrage take over the Democratic primary coverage we're doomed.

Issues, not personalities.
I so agree. It seems 90% of our politics these days is all personalities. I mean really did we need to know that 55% of females find Beto ORourke sexy???? Is that how we determine our presidents? Its like back when tv had the first presidential debate and people saw the candidates. It influenced them. Many felt had FDR had tv coverage nobody would have elected him. Thats really sad.