VA Pastor Apologizes To Congregation, Says He Was Told By WH To Pray For Trump

May 2019
Backatown, USA
After Trump stopped by a VA megachurch in his golf clothes, the White House issued a statement saying that had gone to pray for the VA Beach shooting victims. He must have forgotten why he was there - there was no mention of the shooting.

Virginia pastor explains sudden decision to pray for Trump, after some 'hurt' by it

Platt wrote that as he was ending his sermon at the 1 p.m. service, he was called backstage and informed that the president was going to stop into the church. Trump wanted the church to pray for him, Platt said.

Virginia pastor explains sudden decision to pray for Trump, after some 'hurt' by it

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
Leftists triggered that their pastor prayed for Trump. I'm not surprised. Leftist churchgoers are hurt. But they have been for 2 1/2 years.

That's what Christians are supposed to do. Pray for their leaders.

The pastor did a good thing praying for Trump. And also shared the Gospel with Trump.

He's got nothing to apologize for

Reactions: Hognoxious
Jan 2016
Colorado
Leftists triggered that their pastor prayed for Trump. I'm not surprised. Leftist churchgoers are hurt. But they have been for 2 1/2 years.

The pastor did a good thing praying for Trump. And also shared the Gospel with Trump.

Well, gee, you guys got all triggered a few days ago when Nancy Pelosi said that SHE was gonna pray for the President, and pray for our country.

Somehow, that was OUTRAGEOUS!!

Nov 2016
USA

I pray for him. Every day. I pray that his retirement begin no later than 1/20/21.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Here's the content of the pastor's prayer, as rendered in another source, with some context about what the pastor DIDN'T say:
In contrast with other pastors who have prayed for Trump, Platt was scrupulously nonpartisan. Robert Jeffress, pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas, once thanked God at a campaign event for Trump’s willingness to “make America great again.” Platt prayed that God would give Trump wisdom, and that the president would trust God. He did not betray any hints as to whether he believes Trump currently possesses wisdom or currently trusts God. “We pray … that he would govern and make decisions in ways that are good for justice, and good for righteousness, and good for equity, every good path,” Platt said, lifting up his Bible and bowing his head. “We pray that you would give him all the grace he needs to govern in ways … that lead to peaceful and quiet lives, godly and dignified in every way.”
Pastor David Platt Prayed for Trump While Trying Super Hard Not to Sound Like a Trump Supporter

We should all pray (in our own ways) that our leaders should have wisdom and seek justice.

Seems like this pastor needs to make his next sermon about the Sermon on the Mount:
:Matthew 5:43-48 said:
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Luke 6:27-36 said:

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

Theologically correct, but politically tone-deaf. Ignoring the shooting victims altogether and ORDERING the pastor to pray for Trump were annoying, as was showing up in golf clothes without notice.

Not a graceful moment for our president.

May 2019
midwest
After Trump stopped by a VA megachurch in his golf clothes, the White House issued a statement saying that had gone to pray for the VA Beach shooting victims. He must have forgotten why he was there - there was no mention of the shooting.

Platt wrote that as he was ending his sermon at the 1 p.m. service, he was called backstage and informed that the president was going to stop into the church. Trump wanted the church to pray for him, Platt said.

UFB. Billy Graham must be rolling over in his grave because his son, Franklin, made this remark to pray for the sleazy 1.
:cool:

Reactions: Dangermouse

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Theologically correct, but politically tone-deaf. Ignoring the shooting victims altogether and ORDERING the pastor to pray for Trump were annoying, as was showing up in golf clothes without notice.

Not a graceful moment for our president.
And yet remarkably humble, in its own way. If it wasn't a stage-managed affair (which appears to be unlikely, considering the congregation's reaction) then I'd say it's remarkably unpresidential, but also very un-Trump.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
UFB. Billy Graham must be rolling over in his grave because his son, Franklin, made this remark to pray for the sleazy 1.
:cool:
Franklin's partisan support for Trump isn't in keeping with his father's legacy, but praying for him (whether he's a leader, an enemy, or just another human) is a 2000 year old tradition instituted by the central figure in Christianity.

Reactions: labrea

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.

Sure, sure...

You should "share the Gospel" with this guy (or, at least, demand a cut of the action).