Vaccinations.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
If you don't understand why people are having difficulty trusting pharma then there's no hope you'll accept any point of view other than your own.
I don't trust the pharmaceutical industry - you'd have to be an idiot to do so. You'd have to be even more of an idiot to trust the alternative medicine industry, though.

And you don't need to trust either to understand that vaccines are a really good idea.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
I don't trust the pharmaceutical industry - you'd have to be an idiot to do so. You'd have to be even more of an idiot to trust the alternative medicine industry, though.

And you don't need to trust either to understand that vaccines are a really good idea.
I agree, vaccines are a really good idea. To take advantage of them is a private and personal decision.

Oct 2014
Galaxy ZRF
I see a lot of the Jeebus freaks shouting against vaccines. The same people in many cases who so vehemently oppose abortion, saying its killing a child, are against vaccines for school children. The latter negates the former. Or, are children who’ve been born less important to these freaks?

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Indeed, and I see it as a product of ignorance and belief in conspiracy theories (big Pharma) and/or alternative therapies. We are living in an age where the rejection of mainstream medicine and science has become common and I believe the ever growing current of anti-intellectualism plays its part as well. I doubt political leaning has much to do with it.
It doesn't help that we've been lied to and continue to be by corporations looking their bottom line and a government who fails to regulate them.

The lack of trust didn't begin with conspiracy theorists. They're just capitalizing on what's already there. That said, too many people are willing to believe in a soap opera level of special interests to thwart any and all attempts for truth to be uncovered. If you aren't willing to accept the results of any level of testing or oversight, it negates any reason to have it.

People need to use their common sense in weighing the risk of trusting vaccines or anything else they expose their children to. Cracks me up people let their kids eat Cheetos & drink Coke while playing violent video games or doing god knows what on the internet, but worry about harm being done by vaccines.

Dec 2014
NWOHQ
It doesn't help that we've been lied to and continue to be by corporations looking their bottom line and a government who fails to regulate them.
That sadly, is true, thankfully the industry is heavily regulated in my country, but we are not devoid of snake-oil 'therapies'. We all object to the marketing ploys and the gratuities offered to doctors in the hope of selling more product.

The lack of trust didn't begin with conspiracy theorists. They're just capitalizing on what's already there.
Oh, for sure, and it goes back a long way into ancient history.

That said, too many people are willing to believe in a soap opera level of special interests to thwart any and all attempts for truth to be uncovered. If you aren't willing to accept the results of any level of testing or oversight, it negates any reason to have it.
And we return to my claim of anti-intellectualism playing a part. People are becoming increasingly suspicious of academia and its products, yet they are willing to believe the claims of 'alternative medicine' without rigorous testing.

People need to use their common sense in weighing the risk of trusting vaccines or anything else they expose their children to. Cracks me up people let their kids eat Cheetos & drink Coke while playing violent video games or doing god knows what on the internet, but worry about harm being done by vaccines.
Indeed, we in the west have an explosion of childhood obesity and people are engaged in already debunked conspiracy theories? It's a strange planet.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
If you don't understand why people are having difficulty trusting pharma then there's no hope you'll accept any point of view other than your own.
Agreed, but at this point there are many studies that show vaccines aren't the culprit and only anecdotal evidence to suggest otherwise. In cases where pharmaceutical companies are at fault it's usually a much more profitable product and they try to cover up because of fear of class action lawsuits. In the case of vaccines I haven't seen where the usual cat & mouse games of suppressing evidence & worse are going on. Several different companies make vaccines, I doubt they're all acting in concert, there's not a big PR campaign to exonerate themselves, etc.

Again, I don't think that we should ever abandon our vigilance about these things, but we also shouldn't refuse to vaccinate based on a YouTube video or Facebook post, and that seems to be a lot of people's basis for rejecting the science that disproves the assertions about the safety of vaccines.

Apr 2014
Maryland
I may have missed it but can someone explain to me that if you have the vaccination how you can get the measles. Are the people getting the measles also unvaccinated?