Very telling polling picture (GOP nomination)

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Glad you love all these polls. Let me tell you a little secret. Nobody cares until October of 2012. And Romney isn't going to roll out his attack plan until late in the game. And Obama has so many lies and performance failures, there will be plenty of ways to go after him. And making all this even more irrelevant, if the economy is improving further in 10/2012, none of any of this will make any difference.

Nov 2005
Richmond Va
Glad you love all these polls. Let me tell you a little secret. Nobody cares until October of 2012. And Romney isn't going to roll out his attack plan until late in the game. And Obama has so many lies and performance failures, there will be plenty of ways to go after him. And making all this even more irrelevant, if the economy is improving further in 10/2012, none of any of this will make any difference.
I'd have to say that Obama's lies are much less scarier than the RW 'truths' that the current RW nominees are boasting.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine

Actually, it is kind of telling. What stands out to me is that Romney's support, while not rising, as you might expect, is also not falling either. He's keeping a fairly steady level of support, what is changing is the other votes are consolidating around a challenger to him.

That has kind of been predicted all along - that a vote would consolidate around a challenger - and so now I guess we enter the phase of the contest where they battle it out.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Disagreed. I care.

It's all part of the story of the election of 2012. The anti-Romney flavor of the week phenomenon has been much predicted and semi fascinating to watch. Will it amount to much in the end? Who knows? My gut feeling right now is probably not. But it is interesting in at least the same way as the Tea Party effect on the 2010 elections, the Palin strategy of the 2008 general, and the dueling historical candidates in the 2008 Dem primaries.

Jun 2011
N/A
let me tell you a secret. Early polls have often been extremely predicative of the result 7-9 months later. But good luck with it all, your party will need it.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Disagreed. I care.

It's all part of the story of the election of 2012. The anti-Romney flavor of the week phenomenon has been much predicted and semi fascinating to watch. Will it amount to much in the end? Who knows? My gut feeling right now is probably not. But it is interesting in at least the same way as the Tea Party effect on the 2010 elections, the Palin strategy of the 2008 general, and the dueling historical candidates in the 2008 Dem primaries.

Well said! (co-sign all of that)