Video shows officer did not ID self, gave resident less than 5 seconds before firing fatal shot

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
It is heavily edited (we don't see how or when officers arrived, and there appear to be missing frames), but some basic facts are clear:

These idiots just show up and start wondering around the perimeter of a well-illuminated house

No one thinks to knock on the door

No one says anything, they are completely indistinct from any intruder aside from their uniforms (I can't see police lights)

Shooter (aside from the header, I'm not going to refer to him as an officer, he's a disgrace) goes around back and sees someone in the window

Tragedy ensues in matter of moments. A gun was found in the victim's room, but it's her house, it's Texas, and she had a right to defend herself.

She was a well educated middle class Fort Worth resident and caregiver to her mom. She'd been playing videogames in her room before police took her life.

For nothing.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
The worst part is the interview with the neighbor.

He did everything right. He was worried that a medical or other mishap had happened to his neighbor, who he knew well.

The lights were all on and the front door was open, which seemed unusual to him, so he wanted to be safe.

So he called the NON-EMERGENCY line and asked for a welfare check. Rather than help her, within an hour his neighbor is dead.

He is blaming himself for it, and he wonders if this can result from a non-emergency welfare call, is it ever safe to call the cops?

Keep in mind, this is Fort Worth, where they've had more than 5 fatal police shootings this year, and nearby Dallas is still dealing with the Botham Jean agony.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Attorneys for the family are demanding for the Fort Worth Police Department to immediately turn the case over to an outside agency.

So far, they are refusing to say they will do so, even though it is standard practice for officer-involved shootings in multiple jurisdictions nationwide.

They already have fudged the case by releasing a heavily edited body cam video that removes frames and emphasizes the discovery of a firearm.

(Oh and just in case anyone is wondering, the NRA has said nothing about the killing of a person who armed themselves in their own home against unidentified intruders)

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
I guess this cop wanted a hug and a bible from a judge also...
The circumstances of this are just ugly. I have a sinking suspicion that the neighbor feels worse about this than the cop does.

He went around the backyard and fired into the house in moments, based on what he could see through a blinded window. He wanted to shoot.

This is a product of a police force that believes it can just shoot people with impunity.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
The circumstances of this are just ugly. I have a sinking suspicion that the neighbor feels worse about this than the cop does.

He went around the backyard and fired into the house in moments, based on what he could see through a blinded window. He wanted to shoot.

This is a product of a police force that believes it can just shoot people with impunity.
It would appear so

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
I don't understand how Texas tolerates it. It is like skepticism of government authority, concern for personal safety, general affinity for firearms ... all of that instantly goes out the window the MOMENT you are talking about something involving a police officer. They worship the badge. FWPD put out this edited video emphasizing the discovery of a firearm in the room to try to convict the woman of being a threat that deserved to be shot. There's no other reason to do it. And they do that because they know people will back them up.

Cops deserve to be armed for their own protection, but if you can't count the number of fatal police shootings in one year on one hand, something is wrong.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
That's why instead of calling someone, if you are worried about a neighbor, go and check YOURSELF... Especially when you KNOW what your police is like. Why call em?

Fucking stupid...

Even I look at Russia, the folks there KNOW their police and whole justice system is corrupt crap. So, they just avoid it, if at all possible, avoid calling em, and avoid dealing with em at all, fucking boycott em, and deal with their business THEMSELVES, between themselves. Yes, it's not normal, but Russia is not a normal country.

Neither is America, it seems, your police is fucked up too. So, boycott them.

Reactions: Madeline