Virginia’s Democratic Government Announced It Will Begin Confiscating Guns From Law-Abiding Gun Owners

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
The Red State article includes this passage:

Reporters asked Northam if he was going to begin taking “assault weapons” from gun owners, and Northam’s answer was straight out of an Orwell novel.​

“That’s something I’m working on with our secretary of public safety,” he said. “I’ll work with the gun violence activists, and we’ll work [on] that. I don’t have a definitive plan today.”​

Interestingly, Red State isn't engaging in embellishment, the Washington Post (on MSM, avoids the paywall) reports it this way:

Asked if he supported confiscating military-style weapons from gun owners, Northam demurred.​
“That’s something I’m working on with our secretary of public safety,” Northam said. “I’ll work with the gun-violence activists, and we’ll work through that. I don’t have a definitive plan today.”​

The WaPo reports the context of the question was "confiscating military-style weapons from gun owners", . . . are they fearmongering?
I don't see the difference here.

Working on ..... working through ....

It's the same thing.

Calling them military style weapons is inaccurate and seems to be the actual fearmongering here.

Reactions: spyydrr
Dec 2018
Florida
Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Coming soon to VA gun owners, they are coming for your guns. This is what happens when the left get control of a state. VA will become another shit-hole like CA and NY. VA citizens will likely be moving out of this state (if they can) and go to a freedom loving state.

VA is a beautiful state, and I vacationed there in the mountains this past summer.

Many of it's citizens may have been sleeping over the recent election, but now they have been awakened to what damage the Democrats will soon reap on them.

Virginia’s Democratic Government Announced It Will Begin Confiscating Guns From Law-Abiding Gun Owners

Virginia’s gun owners will now be forced to stay on their toes as its Democratic government has announced it’s going to take the war on guns into overdrive within the state.

According to the Washington Post, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam announced during a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday that now that Virginia’s state government is under complete Democrat control for the first time in a generation, they’re going to take the heavy stick they were just given and begin beating gun owners over the head with it:

Fucking redstate, geez.

May 2019
West Haven

It's the same thing.

Calling them military style weapons is inaccurate and seems to be the actual fearmongering here.
It seems that according to Trumpettes, I don't have a definitive plan means I am going to take all the guns away from all the legal gun owners.
Or maybe that is the Russian bot translation.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Red State couldn't come up with even one sentence attributed to Northam or any other Democrat in Virginia saying they are going to start confiscating guns from law abiding gun owners. Yet spyydrr and JohnFord fall for their sky is falling routine, every time.
That's how gullible you have to be in order to be a Trumpette.
gul·li·ble
/ˈɡələb(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: gullible
easily persuaded to believe something; credulous.
stu·pid
/ˈst(y)o͞opəd/
adjective
adjective: stupid; comparative adjective: stupider; superlative adjective: stupidest
  1. having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

1. Gullible implies some intelligence so they are not gullible.

May 2012
Upper Bucks County, PA

It's the same thing.

The only word at issue was "confiscation" and that anyone who believes that "they are going to start confiscating guns from law abiding gun owners" is "gullible" and squawking about the sky falling (carew278) . . . Another called the thought that guns would be taken one by one, door to door as "fearmongering" (jameny5). I quoted both, in review I don't see how you could get confused.

A side issue was that the report linked in the OP was from Red State, which like a certain red hat seems to bring out the absolute best reasoning, logic and behavior in the left. So, out of curiosity I wanted to see how other news outlets were reporting this story and I find that Red State was actually reserved and less hyperbolic than even left leaning WaPo. WaPo actually used the word "confiscating", the word that carew278 and jameny5 seemed to be in desperate search for . . . so I quoted WaPo.

Last edited:
Reactions: John T Ford
May 2012
Upper Bucks County, PA
It seems that according to Trumpettes, I don't have a definitive plan means I am going to take all the guns away from all the legal gun owners.
Or maybe that is the Russian bot translation.

Let's try a thought experiment . . .

Let's assume that a state's government was taken over by bible-thumping social conservatives, let's remove and replace a couple words in the Red State quote and tell me if you perceive a threat to liberal values. I'm going to remove, "Northam" and call him Christian, I'm removing, "taking “assault weapons” from gun owners" and inserting abortions, I'm removing "safety," and inserting health, I'm removing "gun violence" and inserting anti-abortion . . .

Here's the new quote:

Reporters asked Christian if he was going to begin banning abortions, and Christian's answer was straight out of an Orwell novel.​
“That’s something I’m working on with our secretary of public health” he said. “I’ll work with the anti-abortion activists, and we’ll work on that. I don’t have a definitive plan today.”​

So, if you were a strong supporter of abortion rights and really believed anti-abortion activists having the ear of the Governor and having anti-abortion activists directly involved in crafting public policy was a real threat to abortion rights, wouldn't you be justified in being fearful?

How would you characterize Governor Christian's statement, even if he didn't have a "definitive plan today", would you consider someone saying the government is going to ban abortions was "fearmongering", is "gullible" or clucking that "the sky is falling"?

Reactions: remington50
Dec 2018
Florida
Let's try a thought experiment . . .

Let's assume that a state's government was taken over by bible-thumping social conservatives, let's remove and replace a couple words in the Red State quote and tell me if you perceive a threat to liberal values. I'm going to remove, "Northam" and call him Christian, I'm removing, "taking “assault weapons” from gun owners" and inserting abortions, I'm removing "safety," and inserting health, I'm removing "gun violence" and inserting anti-abortion . . .

Here's the new quote:

Reporters asked Christian if he was going to begin banning abortions, and Christian's answer was straight out of an Orwell novel.​
“That’s something I’m working on with our secretary of public health” he said. “I’ll work with the anti-abortion activists, and we’ll work on that. I don’t have a definitive plan today.”​

So, if you were a strong supporter of abortion rights and really believed anti-abortion activists having the ear of the Governor and having anti-abortion activists directly involved in crafting public policy was a real threat to abortion rights, wouldn't you be justified in being fearful?

How would you characterize Governor Christian's statement, even if he didn't have a "definitive plan today", would you consider someone saying the government is going to ban abortions was "fearmongering", is "gullible" or clucking that "the sky is falling"?

Ambition must be created to counter act ambition. “Oh I don’t want to ban guns, just these these and these guns. And then those.”