Virginia Bill Would Legalize Abortion Up to Birth

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
"Horrors of abortion?" Jeez, it's just a medical procedure that a woman wants done to her body. Why should we care about this lady and her petty taboos?
In her time, it really was a horrible thing. Remember, we're talking about the era of back-alley abortions. It was an extremely dangerous procedure. She was fighting to make those less common by removing the stranglehold the religious taboo against contraception had over policy. Then, as now, there were a lot of conservatives who believed that their own taboos should be forced onto others by way of the law.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
In her time, it really was a horrible thing. Remember, we're talking about the era of back-alley abortions. It was an extremely dangerous procedure.
So after repeatedly attempting to marginalize anyone's aversion to the nature of abortion as some sort of petty taboo that is not to be respected, when Margaret Sanger is quoted referring to it as a "horror," you work hard to come up with some sort of laughable defense of her comment, because it was Margaret Sanger.

If she thought it were specifically the back-alley nature of abortions that made them "horrors," then she would have just said "it is apparent that nothing short of legalizing and legitimizing abortions as medical procedures will put an end to the horrors of back-alley abortions."

But she didn't say that. In fact she coupled abortion with infanticide and referred to them jointly as horrors. She even implied that putting an end to the "horrors" would be a desirable goal. What a dogmatic oppressor of womens' bodies!

Let's be honest. Sanger was feigning alignment with the opposition on abortion/infanticide as a tactic to beat her opponents over the head on their opposition to contraceptives, signaling that successfully defeating contraceptives ensures more abortions and infanticide. That's all it was.

Last edited:
Apr 2014
Maryland
As the father of 3 married daughters I think they should consider allowing abortions up to 18 years past birth to cover the teenage years. (just kidding all!!)
I always say that we shouldn’t call fetuses babies...but rather adolescents and then more people would be pro choice

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
So after repeatedly attempting to marginalize anyone's aversion to the nature of abortion as some sort of petty taboo that is not to be respected
You misunderstood. I'm fine with your abortion taboo. If you don't want to get an abortion, I will defend your right not to be forced by law to have an abortion. The question is whether you should force your taboo on others by way of the law. That is what I object to. Do you understand now?

when Margaret Sanger is quoted referring to it as a "horror," you work hard to come up with some sort of laughable defense of her comment, because it was Margaret Sanger.
Have you read the book the quotation comes from? If so, you know it's not a "laughable defense," and instead a clear recounting of her own views. She speaks at great length in the book about the dangers of abortion in her time. If you haven't read it, I'd suggest doing so, so that you can engage intelligently on the topic.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
You misunderstood. I'm fine with your abortion taboo. If you don't want to get an abortion, I will defend your right not to be forced by law to have an abortion. The question is whether you should force your taboo on others by way of the law. That is what I object to. Do you understand now?
You continue with this dishonesty of trying to personalize this issue as "my taboo." Most of society seems to agree with laws and procedures that protect healthy full-term fetuses from being killed without medical necessity. Societies make laws about things they don't find tolerable. This is one of those things. You seem to be in a radical minority that disagrees with there being any law or regulation whatsoever concerning protecting healthy full-term fetuses from avoidable death. Congratulations on having an opinion.
Have you read the book the quotation comes from? If so, you know it's not a "laughable defense," and instead a clear recounting of her own views. She speaks at great length in the book about the dangers of abortion in her time. If you haven't read it, I'd suggest doing so, so that you can engage intelligently on the topic.
Engaging intelligently on a topic doesn't involve avoidance techniques like deleting the central point being made, which what you did in this last post, and numerous others before it.

Last edited:
Sep 2017
Massachusetts
You continue with this dishonesty of trying to personalize this issue as "my taboo."
It is your taboo. For some reason it makes you uncomfortable to speak of it that way, but that doesn't change anything.

Most of society seems to agree with laws and procedures that protect healthy full-term fetuses from being killed without medical necessity.
Similarly, there have been times and places where most of society agreed with having laws and procedures to prevent people from eating during daylight hours during Ramadan, or getting tattoos, etc. A person's taboo can be shared with the majority of his society and yet still be a personal taboo.

Congratulations on having an opinion.
Now imagine if I argued the way you do. I'd spend the next dozen posts whining about how it isn't "an opinion," even when, by definition, it clearly is one. Fortunately, I don't do that. I like to take an honest approach to debate. You should try it sometime. It's liberating. It allows one to engage intelligently in a debate.

Apr 2014
Maryland
You continue with this dishonesty of trying to personalize this issue as "my taboo." Most of society seems to agree with laws and procedures that protect healthy full-term fetuses from being killed without medical necessity. Societies make laws about things they don't find tolerable. This is one of those things. You seem to be in a radical minority that disagrees with there being any law or regulation whatsoever concerning protecting healthy full-term fetuses from avoidable death. Congratulations on having an opinion.

Engaging intelligently on a topic doesn't involve avoidance techniques like deleting the central point being made, which what you did in this last post, and numerous others before it.
There is that fake scenario again, the strawman that gets irrational people even more irrational .....nobody has a full-time fetus aborted for no reason

Apr 2014
Maryland
Little baby, be glad you made it out of the womb alive.
Do you know one person who had a healthy viable nine month fetus where there were no health issues on either part?of course not..it doesn’t happen.
It’s so interesting that people who support guns that kill born people get all hysterical over a straw man that doesn’t happen