Walmart says higher tariffs on China goods will increase prices for U.S. shoppers

Jan 2012
SoCal
Wrong

The tariffs are destroying American jobs.

You, as an American consumer, are the ones who are paying higher prices because of thump.

The tariffs on Mexican and Canadian steel and aluminum are forcing some manufactures out of business.

Read one small example of what I posted here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...umps-tariffs-are-here/?utm_term=.deaae48870cb
Labor, materials, etc. They are all inputs. The same claims and even the same results occur with minimum wage hikes.

Minimum wage raises the cost of the labor input for production.

Tariffs raises the cost of the actual sale of the item due to the tax being imposed.

Again why is this okay with every other tax but not this tax?

Sales tax....fine....
Corporate tax....fine.....
Tariff tax....no way.....

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
This is a byproduct of doing business with China.

First we allowed companies like Walmart to dictate prices on everything from socks to butter.
Then we complained they shipped jobs overseas to keep those prices.
Now we complain that our low low prices on brand name products is going to increase.

I really don't care who is sitting at the helm, make up your damn minds.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I'm sure they are right and they will increase prices. So do minimum wage hikes. I don't understand why people understand this in one instance and not the other.

Tariffs at least try to keep jobs in the country whereas mandated higher wages drive them out.
Without a living wage people can not survive. Americans are not Chinese.

Now, all Trump has to do is provide the money to build plants to make all the things people want,if he can take time from stonewalling the other two equal branches of Government.

I for one am willing to not buy the crappy stuff that comes from over seas.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Without a living wage people can not survive. Americans are not Chinese.

Now, all Trump has to do is provide the money to build plants to make all the things people want,if he can take time from stonewalling the other two equal branches of Government.

I for one am willing to not buy the crappy stuff that comes from over seas.
I don't know about building plants, but everything else you said is what he is doing. That's the point.
Prices are a byproduct of that decision.
Add to it that we have a very low unemployment rate, this could turn out to be good.

Maybe not so good as to bring manufacturing to the heart of the US back to levels that once sustained us - that I'm not certain.
But if it did, it would be a good decision.

Trump is gambling here. And I can't blame anyone who doesn't like gambling.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Also what makes Walmart prices lowest?
They aren't the lowest prices. That's advertising.

The only thing Walmart has over other retail competition is their bookend deals.
Yes, those are the only places you can find lower prices than retail competition.

So all is not lost.