Walmart says higher tariffs on China goods will increase prices for U.S. shoppers

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Also what makes Walmart prices lowest?
They aren't the lowest prices. That's advertising.

The only thing Walmart has over other retail competition is their bookend deals.
Yes, those are the only places you can find lower prices than retail competition.

So all is not lost.
I have a few items I buy from Walmart I can not find in other stores. A few online kitchen items.

But right now I am in the middle of a discussion over a small item they sent me from another retailer that I had to send back. The other retailer charged more shipping costs than the item cost.

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
Trump and his fucking groupies don't give a shit if the poor pay higher prices. Poor people do vote.
Even Chuckie Schumer agrees with Trump on tariffs. Are you saying he doesn't give a shit?

The goal is to actually reduce prices. That will happen because China is already feeling the heat.

Remember: Trump is not a wuss like Obama. Trump actually wants to help the poor and middle class.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
Labor, materials, etc. They are all inputs. The same claims and even the same results occur with minimum wage hikes.

Minimum wage raises the cost of the labor input for production.

Tariffs raises the cost of the actual sale of the item due to the tax being imposed.

Again why is this okay with every other tax but not this tax?

Sales tax....fine....
Corporate tax....fine.....
Tariff tax....no way.....
When minimum wage increases, that is more money in the pockets of American workers. Who benefits when prices increase due to tariffs?

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Walmart says higher tariffs on China goods will increase prices for U.S. shoppers
Walmart said the company will also try to obtain products from different countries and work with suppliers to blunt the impact of higher tariffs.
By Reuters

############################################################################################
Indeed the Trump tariffs are hurting U.S. businesses and most of all consumers. Apparently, when Trump chose to apply tariffs to China he did not stop to think of what could happen to American consumers. So as a consequence, you're all going to have to dig deeper into your pockets from now on to pay for his tariffs.

I vividly recall discussions right here on this forum back about 4 years ago where most argued that Walmart needed to raise prices and stop buying too much stuff from China as it depressed US wages. Why is this not still a problem? Nobody remembers the "raise prices a bit for a higher wage?"

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This is a byproduct of doing business with China.

First we allowed companies like Walmart to dictate prices on everything from socks to butter.
Then we complained they shipped jobs overseas to keep those prices.
Now we complain that our low low prices on brand name products is going to increase.

I really don't care who is sitting at the helm, make up your damn minds.
Exactly the hypocrisy is maddening. "Buy American" has long been a union mantra, not a conservative one. Now because of Trump, we have lost our minds. Now its like "protect China." WTF.. I imagine a great deal of unions are pretty damn pleased.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Even Chuckie Schumer agrees with Trump on tariffs. Are you saying he doesn't give a shit?

The goal is to actually reduce prices. That will happen because China is already feeling the heat.

Remember: Trump is not a wuss like Obama. Trump actually wants to help the poor and middle class.
There is a huge list of Ds that agree with tariffs. Sherrod Brown, Elizabeth Warren, Deb Dingell, Tammie Baldwin.. not to mention many trade unions. It used to be in the D wheelhouse.

Unions laud tariffs
AFL-CIO lauds Trump's tariffs
Progressive Democrat Bails Out Trump On Tariffs | HuffPost

Sep 2014
USA
I vividly recall discussions right here on this forum back about 4 years ago where most argued that Walmart needed to raise prices and stop buying too much stuff from China as it depressed US wages. Why is this not still a problem? Nobody remembers the "raise prices a bit for a higher wage?"
This one is on Walmart. They are an American company and earn almost 15B a year in profit. They can afford to take the hit. No need to pass this along to the consumer due to greed on their behalf.