WaPo: Joe Biden once made forceful argument against school desegregation

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Rut roh.

biden.jpeg

The "sins of my father" and "rub shoulders" lines sound inherently like arguments against the Civil Rights Act.

In a world where a single photo of blackface represents a political crisis, rhetoric like this should pretty much sink a Democratic presidential campaign.

It's OK to be skeptical of certain ideas with regard to race relations.

But the approach, So what if we mistreated black people for decades? Not my problem is really problematic.

If Biden *IS* running, he is going to have to disavow this interview, completely, and quickly.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Rut roh.

View attachment 22269

The "sins of my father" and "rub shoulders" lines sound inherently like arguments against the Civil Rights Act.

In a world where a single photo of blackface represents a political crisis, rhetoric like this should pretty much sink a Democratic presidential campaign.

It's OK to be skeptical of certain ideas with regard to race relations.

But the approach, So what if we mistreated black people for decades? Not my problem is really problematic.
I have been thinking this is the kind of stuff that is going to get dug up on Joe. Anita Hill, plagiarism etc. It just seems like these things wont fly in 2020.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
This took place back in 1975.

From the WP article

Biden’s statements 44 years ago represent one of the earliest chapters in his well-documented record on racial issues, during which he generally has worked alongside African American leaders and been embraced by them. He supported the extension of the Voting Rights Act, amendments to the Fair Housing Act, sanctions against apartheid South Africa and the creation of a holiday honoring Martin Luther King Jr. In 2010, he pushed to roll back sentencing that many believed exacerbated racial disparities.

Biden, 76, declined to be interviewed for this article. But his spokesman, Bill Russo, said the former vice president still believes he was right to oppose busing.

“He never thought busing was the best way to integrate schools in Delaware — a position which most people now agree with,” Russo said. “As he said during those many years of debate, busing would not achieve equal opportunity. And it didn’t.

Considering the Trump was an actual birther to kick start his political career, this may "sting" a bit, but nothing in comparison to all the racist remarks Trump has made through his entire life, including while sitting in the WH (Shithole countries).

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
I have been thinking this is the kind of stuff that is going to get dug up on Joe. Anita Hill, plagiarism etc. It just seems like these things wont fly in 2020.
So, compare this to Ralph Northam, for example ... Especially given where it was first published, someone found that stuff a while ago. Or, Northam had associates squirrel away all of the copies and one of them decided to betray him. Either way, it was always going to come out eventually, and it got deployed to devastating effect. Yes he can't run for re-election in any event and yes he has not resigned, but his tenure is completely ruined and his state party may suffer more consequences this fall.

This Biden interview has been buried in the deep archives of the entity that conducted it, or elsewhere. It's a journalistic gem, extremely timely and meaningful given who it features and what they're talking about amid the national conversation we are having, and somebody at the Post found it after EXHAUSTIVE work.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
That has no importance. Does it reflect his views now? He has to answer that question. Declining to comment is not an option.
Its one of those issues where people are going to have to decide if something from 40 years ago has relevance today. Many democrats of that era felt the same way. Boston who was always a liberal city was against it as well. However he will have to answer to it in 2020. Also CNN is running this from Biden today as well.

"Joe Biden in a 1993 speech warned of "predators on our streets" who were "beyond the pale" and said they must be cordoned off from the rest of society because the justice system did not know how to rehabilitate them."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/politics/biden-1993-speech-predators/index.html

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
So, compare this to Ralph Northam, for example ... Especially given where it was first published, someone found that stuff a while ago. Or, Northam had associates squirrel away all of the copies and one of them decided to betray him. Either way, it was always going to come out eventually, and it got deployed to devastating effect. Yes he can't run for re-election in any event and yes he has not resigned, but his tenure is completely ruined and his state party may suffer more consequences this fall.

This Biden interview has been buried in the deep archives of the entity that conducted it, or elsewhere. It's a journalistic gem, extremely timely and meaningful given who it features and what they're talking about amid the national conversation we are having, and somebody at the Post found it after EXHAUSTIVE work.
I hate to say it but I am sure Biden has some other gems hidden away too. He is known to say things off the cuff that could come back and haunt him. Again the voters will have to decide if thats acceptable in 2020. I think it also speaks to his age, its more likely those over 70 would have these sorts of things in their past.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
That has no importance. Does it reflect his views now? He has to answer that question. Declining to comment is not an option.
If he decides to run, I'm sure he will comment on it.

To me, what he did 44 years ago on one issue, pales in comparison to what this current administration does every single day.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
If he decides to run, I'm sure he will comment on it.

To me, what he did 44 years ago on one issue, pales in comparison to what this current administration does every single day.
I agree but the electorate may just decide its unacceptable. We will see.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Its one of those issues where people are going to have to decide if something from 40 years ago has relevance today. Many democrats of that era felt the same way. Boston who was always a liberal city was against it as well. However he will have to answer to it in 2020. Also CNN is running this from Biden today as well.

"Joe Biden in a 1993 speech warned of "predators on our streets" who were "beyond the pale" and said they must be cordoned off from the rest of society because the justice system did not know how to rehabilitate them."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/politics/biden-1993-speech-predators/index.html
I think the standard is fairly direct, although it is complex.

It's obviously important that Ralph Northam took a photo wearing either Blackface or a Klan getup. But to what extent is it lasting news? That *was* up to him.

Governor, which person are you in the photo, blackface or Klan? "I don't remember." What?

Governor, why did you participate in this photo? "I'm not sure I'm depicted in the photo." He can't be serious!

Governor, why did this photo get placed on your personal yearbook page? "I didn't make that decision." Fucking shit!

That's obviously the worst example of how to respond to things. But "no comment, talk to my spokesman" doesn't fare too much better.