WAPO: Nancy Pelosi on Impeaching Trump: ‘He’s Just Not Worth It’

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...orth-it/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.85ed2b9d1516

Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path, because it divides the country. And he’s just not worth it.

You probably know by now that I've been a strong advocate for impeaching this corrupt criminal since Day One. But, as I mentioned in passing in a recent post, my thinking about this has turned around recently. It's not that I don't think our national nightmare should be impeached (and, with apologies to Speaker Pelosi, he, and more to the point, our country, is worth it). It's that the chances of Republican senators voting to remove him from office are virtually nil. Moreover, it seems reasonable to assume that impeachment hearings would only energize his base of braindead racists, which would put the 2020 election at greater risk.

So, IMO, patience could very well pay off here. With 34 seats up in 2020 (including a special election in Arizona ), there's a pretty good chance that the Democrats will take the Senate as they did the House in 2018. And, in the event that Agent Orange somehow manages to get himself re-elected (and thus, proving once and for all, that there is no god, or if there is, he has one hell of a sense of humor), you can bet your bottom dollar that Speaker Pelosi will certainly deem him worthy of it then.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Apr 2012
Is Pelosi more worried about losing corporate campaign donations than she is about letting Trump run the country into the ground?

The divisive angle rings hollow. How could the nation be more divided than it is now?

Sure, the Senate won't convict. But they will have to hang it out there and let the voters see who supports bad government and who has real regard for the country.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Is Pelosi more worried about losing corporate campaign donations than she is about letting Trump run the country into the ground?

The divisive angle rings hollow. How could the nation be more divided than it is now?

Sure, the Senate won't convict. But they will have to hang it out there and let the voters see who supports bad government and who has real regard for the country.

The Senate won't convict so why waste time talking about impeachment? Especially when he is already very vulnerable? Would just take away on the focus on what the D's are running on.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
The Senate won't convict so why waste time talking about impeachment? Especially when he is already very vulnerable? Would just take away on the focus on what the D's are running on.

Exactly. How would that not suck all the air out of the room?

It's a really tough, but correct call. And my respect for Pelosi has increased immensely over the past few months.

May 2013
Boise, ID
Nancy is right - DON'T GO THERE. Massive potential for backfire.
But honestly, I don't get the Republican hesitancy to simply go with Pence.
He'll give them all the shit they want - Judges, deregulation, tax cuts - the usual.
And he'll embarrass us less and be less dangerous internationally.
But at the same time I'll watch with glee as his minions follow the Orange Anus directly off the cliff!

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...orth-it/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.85ed2b9d1516

You probably know by now that I've been a strong advocate for impeaching this corrupt criminal since Day One. But, as I mentioned in passing in a recent post, my thinking about this has turned around recently. It's not that I don't think our national nightmare should be impeached (and, with apologies to Speaker Pelosi, he, and more to the point, our country, is worth it). It's that the chances of Republican senators voting to remove him from office are virtually nil. Moreover, it seems reasonable to assume that impeachment hearings would only energize his base of braindead racists, which would put the 2020 election at greater risk.

So, IMO, patience could very well pay off here. With 34 seats up in 2020 (including a special election in Arizona ), there's a pretty good chance that the Democrats will take the Senate as they did the House in 2018. And, in the event that Agent Orange somehow manages to get himself re-elected (and thus, proving once and for all, that there is no god, or if there is, he has one hell of a sense of humor), you can bet your bottom dollar that Speaker Pelosi will certainly deem him worthy of it then.

Thoughts?
Tend to agree with her observations, but her conclusion is a little clumsy.

At least to this point in time there are not "compelling or overwhelming" reasons to pursue impeachment of Trump. (Although the Mueller report could certainly change that.)

So she is essentially pointing out that she is not going to start impeachment proceedings simply for political motivations. Respect her candor but her comment isn't going to set real well with some of the more partisan factions of her constituency.

Apr 2012
Pelosi should be better caeful with such statements..

The moment Trump hears that he's "not worth it", he might demand getting impeached. Twitter and all !
You do know she is right beause the GOp in the senate will never vote for it. Pelosi does not want democrats looking more stupid than they already do