Warfare Trivia

Jul 2014
midwest
The answer is:

The Battle of the Philippine Sea, AKA the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot, June 19-20 1944.

The US had 7 Fleet carriers and 8 Light carriers against the Japanese which had 5 Fleet carriers and 4 Light carriers.

The US lost 123 planes, while the Japanese lost 3 Fleet carriers and 550-650 planes.

Midway is more famous and probably more important because it turned the tide of the war in the Pacific, while the Battle of the Philippine Sea pretty much wiped out enough of the Japanese fleet that they were on the defensive from then on.

One USS Lexington pilot returning from a mission remarked "Why, hell, it was just like an old-time turkey shoot down home" thus the name.

Jul 2014
midwest
The answer is: Ford and GHW Bush.

Ensign Bush flew Avengers off the San Jacinto.

Lt Ford was an assistant navigator on the Monterey.

Bush is famous for being a naval aviator in WWII.

Not as many people know that Ford was in the Navy at the same time.

Jun 2014
EU. Hang Vlad Tepes from the Kremlin.
You (meaning me) learn something every day.

Nixon served on active duty in the Naval Reserve in WWII.

He did serve in the Pacific in the war, and retired from the Naval Reserve in 1966.

Don't know if he ever saw any combat.
I remembered just now Nixon being mentioned in Thames Television's 1970s WWII documentary World at War. Seems he was a domestic office mouse in the war.

The World At War Ep07 On Our Way - Video Dailymotion

Jul 2014
midwest
I remembered just now Nixon being mentioned in Thames Television's 1970s WWII documentary World at War. Seems he was a domestic office mouse in the war.

The World At War Ep07 On Our Way - Video Dailymotion
I think he was in the US during much of it, but his WIKI page says he was in the Pacific for at least part of the war.

Guadalcanal was one assignment.

He was in Iowa until May 1943 when he requested sea duty.

I give him credit for that, because that would have been during the peak of the war.