Warren Wants to Revoke 1890 Wounded Knee Massacre Medals of Honor

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
A new Senate bill would rescind medals from 20 U.S. soldiers who slaughtered hundreds of Native Americans. “The horrifying acts of violence against hundreds of Lakota men, women and children at Wounded Knee should be condemned,” Ms. Warren said.

WASHINGTON — Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts on Wednesday introduced legislation to revoke Medals of Honor from 20 United States soldiers who killed hundreds of Native American women and children in the Wounded Knee Massacre of 1890.

The proposal from Ms. Warren, a leading candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, follows a House bill on the same subject that was introduced in June by Representative Denny Heck of Washington. It has yet to receive a vote.

“The horrifying acts of violence against hundreds of Lakota men, women and children at Wounded Knee should be condemned, not celebrated with Medals of Honor,” Ms. Warren said in a statement released Wednesday by her Senate office. “The Remove the Stain Act acknowledges a profoundly shameful event in U.S. history, and that’s why I’m joining my House colleagues in this effort to advance justice and take a step toward righting wrongs against Native peoples.”

Congress has rescinded more than 900 Medals of Honor since enacting legislation in 1916 to create a board of retired military officers to review previously awarded medals, according to Ms. Warren’s Senate office.

*Skip*

The Wounded Knee massacre, one of the deadliest attacks on Native American people by the United States military, took place on Dec. 29, 1890. Amid a crackdown on a religious movement called the Ghost Dance, United States troops arrested a Lakota leader, Chief Big Foot, and confined him and his people to a camp in southwestern South Dakota. When they were asked to surrender their weapons, a gun went off and soldiers opened fire. More than 300 Lakota Sioux are thought to have been killed.

Congress formally apologized for the massacre in 1990, though it did not provide any reparations for descendants of Native Americans killed at Wounded Knee.

*Skip*"

Even if Warren is doing this because of Trump's ridicule of her for claiming she has Native American ancestry, I still think on the whole it's positive. This is a minority group in our country that is unarguably most oppressed and exploited by our government, historically and currently.

Your thoughts?

May 2019
The Wine Country
Prior to World War I, the Medal was pretty much a political prize to be given out for public relations purposes.

Some were well-earned like Joshua Chamberlain's defense of Little Round Top during the Battle Of Gettysburg.

That's a far cry from getting one for shooting defenseless women and children. And that's largely what the victims of Wounded Knee were. And Sand Creek. And the Washita. And Bloody Island in California.

Even the Nazis didn't hand out Knight's Crosses to the Einsatzgruppen who shot Jews in the shooting pits of western Russia. Murderers are not soldiers.

I can accept revoking the medals.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Seems like a worthless feel good action. I tired of trying to rectify the past in ways like this. Why not instead start treating NA's better NOW?
I agree with you, but there currently is little national debate on the plight of these people. This gesture of Warren's at least raises their profile.

May 2007
Houston, Texas
I don't disagree with Warren, but it looks like a diversion to keep from answering the questions about her medicare for all plan. It won't work; the questions will still remain after this has passed.

Reactions: Gooseberrymesa
Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Prior to World War I, the Medal was pretty much a political prize to be given out for public relations purposes.

Some were well-earned like Joshua Chamberlain's defense of Little Round Top during the Battle Of Gettysburg.

That's a far cry from getting one for shooting defenseless women and children. And that's largely what the victims of Wounded Knee were. And Sand Creek. And the Washita. And Bloody Island in California.

Even the Nazis didn't hand out Knight's Crosses to the Einsatzgruppen who shot Jews in the shooting pits of western Russia. Murderers are not soldiers.

I can accept revoking the medals.

You can't blame the soldiers for following Federal policy and orders which was based on reducing the "Indian manace" by using extermination if needed. And even California had a bounty on ANY wild indian who refused to surrender, dead or alive.

Last edited:

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
You can't blame the soldiers for following Federal policy and orders which was based on reducing the "Indian manace" by using extermination if needed. And even California had a bounty on ANY wild indian who refused to surrender, dead or alive.
What exactly is a “wild Indian?” Alive, and not in captivity?

Reactions: Madeline