Warren Wants to Revoke 1890 Wounded Knee Massacre Medals of Honor

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Exactly. It has nothing to do with ANYTHING. History happened. Some of it good. Some of it bad. Should be taught AS IS. And phony gestures do nothing for people living in the here and NOW. USMCA is sitting around unpassed. There is an epidemic of Heroin. Prescription Drugs are to expensive. Infrastructure has not been addressed. And Warren wants to waste time on THIS?
Doing this doesn't erase history. In fact, it adds to it. The event still happened. Everyone involved still played their role.

That's like those nutjobs complaining that taking down a Confederate statue erases history. It just doesn't. Nothing is changed except people are choosing who to honor, praise and exalt.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
And I gave my goddam Opinion. This Bill SUCKS. Waste of time.
And your opinion is as valid as anyone else's in this context. However, the OP makes the valid point that issuing a military decoration to soldiers who slaughtered unarmed native men, women, and children, obviously devalues that decoration. And we hanged soldiers who used that 'only following orders' excuse at Nuremberg.

It is my opinion that far too many excuses are attempted for the war crimes, past and present, of the US military, and that the cult of the military is gaining momentum, rather than receding in present US society. You are better than that - you are a successful and generally admirable people governed by the rule of law - do not let political tribalism change that.

CtC

Mar 2019
California
And your opinion is as valid as anyone else's in this context. However, the OP makes the valid point that issuing a military decoration to soldiers who slaughtered unarmed native men, women, and children, obviously devalues that decoration. And we hanged soldiers who used that 'only following orders' excuse at Nuremberg.

It is my opinion that far too many excuses are attempted for the war crimes, past and present, of the US military, and that the cult of the military is gaining momentum, rather than receding in present US society. You are better than that - you are a successful and generally admirable people governed by the rule of law - do not let political tribalism change that.
And once again. That is way back in the PAST. Is anyone alive NOW who took part? Should their Great Great Grandchildren be sent to Gitmo?

• Love
Reactions: Leaf Aricsun
Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Many Nazis on trial at Nuremberg talked about "following orders" too. Not an excuse IMHO
Yet we still lionize those who passed and signed the laws, created the policies and gave the orders unlike those in the Third Reich who were condemned. Why should they get a pass?

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
And once again. That is way back in the PAST. Is anyone alive NOW who took part? Should their Great Great Grandchildren be sent to Gitmo?
As I have indicated more than once, I come from a very old military family and, while I have chosen a different career; I regard military decorations very seriously. So, whilst I have little knowledge of the war crimes concerned, and have no opinion upon the ludicrous concept that the relatives of those concerned should be incarcerated, or otherwise penalised, I agree that the decoration concerned is devalued by issuance to soldiers who committed war crimes. The retraction of those honours would go some way to reinstating the value of that decoration.

Both the Holocaust and the Armenian Genocide were so long in the past that there is hardly anyone alive today with personal recollections thereof - but should we cease to acknowledge the great crimes committed thereby? Should Germany cease providing the hundreds of millions each year to fund social welfare services for Holocaust survivors?

Reactions: Madeline

CtC

Mar 2019
California
As I have indicated more than once, I come from a very old military family and, while I have chosen a different career; I regard military decorations very seriously. So, whilst I have little knowledge of the war crimes concerned, and have no opinion upon the ludicrous concept that the relatives of those concerned should be incarcerated, or otherwise penalised, I agree that the decoration concerned is devalued by issuance to soldiers who committed war crimes. The retraction of those honours would go some way to reinstating the value of that decoration.

Both the Holocaust and the Armenian Genocide were so long in the past that there is hardly anyone alive today with personal recollections thereof - but should we cease to acknowledge the great crimes committed thereby? Should Germany cease providing the hundreds of millions each year to fund social welfare services for Holocaust survivors?
I will mull it over. My Grandfather left Poland in 1935 and moved to Jerusalem. With his family ,of course. His five brothers and four sisters were not so lucky. Two of my Great uncles died fighting the Nazis. The remainder? Aside from a couple of postcards ,never heard from again. ----Now My Lai? THAT was current events when I was young. Happened BEFORE I was sent over there. I do know this. I would never have obeyed THAT order.

Reactions: Leo2 and Madeline