Was America "never great".

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Cuomo says America ‘was never that great’

Gov. Andrew Cuomo stunned the audience at a bill-signing ceremony Wednesday by saying America “was never that great” as he mocked President Trump’s 2016 campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again.”

https://nypost.com/2018/08/15/cuomo-says-america-was-never-that-great/

This is the same idiot who renamed the tappan zee bridge after his father.

I'm curious though if any of our lefty friends here agree with this statement.

Nov 2010
Nope, the country's history is full of genocide, slavery, segregation, discrimination, rampant injustices, war mongering, robber barons, you name it. Even the golden age WWII to the 70's was full of sexism, racism, bigotry.

Jul 2014
midwest
And Cuomo is allegedly think about running for POTUS in 2020.

Yes, it's true!

Think this little America "was never that great" quote might appear in a few ads if he does?

Yeah, I think so...

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Nope, the country's history is full of genocide, slavery, segregation, discrimination, rampant injustices, war mongering, robber barons, you name it. Even the golden age WWII to the 70's was full of sexism, racism, bigotry.

Well this explains a lot. So other countries were devoid of this? so are you saying no country was great?

It's pretty sick to sit there living off the benefits of this great nation while thinking it sucks so much.

Feb 2007
In my mind
I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.

A great quote.

MIndless praise of ones country are how dictators are spawned, in my opinion. If one can not look back and be critical of ones actions, then how can anyone expect to learn?

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Things have never, overall, been better than they are now.

That's a big difference between the left and the right. Conservatism perpetually sees the world as getting worse, and the better time is always some vague point in the past that we let get away from us because of our own decadence and rottenness. It's like they constantly feel like Adam and Eve just after they were kicked out of the Garden. Except that was Adam and Eve's own fault, and this is the fault of all those despicable others. The complainers.

The left sees the world as overall getting progressively better because of the constant struggle and pressure of the people against those who would like to turn back the clock. They see the problems of the world as something that we must work together to overcome and eliminate. They may at times forget that we are standing on the shoulders of the people who came before us, and that the world was a lot more brutal and a lot less civilized than it is today, but that's probably a common side effect of focusing on the problems to solve.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.

A great quote.

MIndless praise of ones country are how dictators are spawned, in my opinion. If one can not look back and be critical of ones actions, then how can anyone expect to learn?

Who's "mindlessly praising"? are you building a strawman for someone?

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Things have never, overall, been better than they are now.

That's a big difference between the left and the right. Conservatism perpetually sees the world as getting worse, and the better time is always some vague point in the past that we let get away from us because of our own decadence and rottenness. It's like they constantly feel like Adam and Eve just after they were kicked out of the Garden. Except that was Adam and Eve's own fault, and this is the fault of all those despicable others. The complainers.

The left sees the world as overall getting progressively better because of the constant struggle and pressure of the people against those who would like to turn back the clock. They see the problems of the world as something that we must work together to overcome and eliminate. They may at times forget that we are standing on the shoulders of the people who came before us, and that the world was a lot more brutal and a lot less civilized than it is today, but that's probably a common side effect of focusing on the problems to solve.

What?????

Liberals lament how we are getting worse every day.... where have you been?