Was the Dayton Shooter Motivated By Specific Politics (Antifa)?

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
This popped up in Google News Feed today, but it appears to be dated 6 days ago. Written by Andy Ngo, the reporter attacked in Portland recently.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/06/dayton-shooter-may-be-antifas-first-mass-killer/

While Betts, the Dayton shooter, didn’t leave behind a manifesto, his extensive social-media footprint provides clues as to what may have inspired him. Federal investigators announced Tuesday that they are looking into his exploration of violent ideologies.

Betts had long expressed support for antifa accounts, causes and individuals. That would be the loose network of militant leftist activists who physically attack anyone to the right of Mao in the name of “anti-fascism.” In particular, Betts promoted extreme hatred of American border enforcement.

“Kill every fascist,” the shooter declared in 2018 on twitter, echoing a rallying cry of antifa ideologues. Over the next year, his tweets became increasingly violent. “Nazis deserve death and nothing else,” he tweeted last October. Betts frequently flung the label “Nazi” at those with whom he disagreed online.
I did some searching and can find tons of links / images to posts but not a lot of followup on the initial article.

I found this: Letter: Dayton shooter supported Antifa and Democrats and nothing more.

If this was motivated by specific politics, in this case anti-fascist and in other cases white supremacy, and these are acts of terrorism, then where are we headed as a nation?
Many state that they themselves would NEVER do such a thing in the name of politics, but if these cases are actually politically motivated, it shows that some actually will do something.

I can't help but think that even though none of us planned these acts or attempted them, or hurt anyone, we are a bit responsible as we've all had a hand in raising the fever pitch in this country.

That is my take, what is yours + comments?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I think its sad that these young people cant deal with those that might have different cultures/views than their own. They resort to violence as a first resort. Am concerned about copcats now too. Seem to be a lot trending after these shootings.

Jul 2011
Tennessee
I think its sad that these young people cant deal with those that might have different cultures/views than their own. They resort to violence as a first resort. Am concerned about copcats now too. Seem to be a lot trending after these shootings.
Would apply these thoughts to the El Paso murderer?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Would apply these thoughts to the El Paso murderer?
I am not sure politics really is THE motive for any of these shooters. They are just angry young men from all over the world. They seem to all have in common a social media linkage in that they roam the same sites as each other. We know the El Paso shooter admired the Christchurch New Zealand shooter. I just found out last year that there are actual "fan clubs" and "virtual shooting sites" online where these kids can talk with others about how they would commit a mass shooting or what they admire in these shooters. Thats very tragic.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
I am not sure politics really is THE motive for any of these shooters. They are just angry young men from all over the world. They seem to all have in common a social media linkage in that they roam the same sites as each other. We know the El Paso shooter admired the Christchurch New Zealand shooter. I just found out last year that there are actual "fan clubs" and "virtual shooting sites" online where these kids can talk with others about how they would commit a mass shooting or what they admire in these shooters. Thats very tragic.
You make great points.

The fact this happens all over the world, appears to span outside of politics, and appears somewhat organized (online media) makes this a more difficult thing to talk about let alone solve.

As in, any reason is a good enough reason to commit these acts in these people's minds.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
He literally confessed he was targeting Mexicans.
Yeah true. But growing up in Texas I learned that there are some people that dislike Mexicans - yet they never went out and targeted and killed them.

To say his entire motive to plan, stage and actually shoot people can all be summed up in his hate of Mexicans doesn't make a lot of sense.
What is it that led him to actually decide to kill people? Especially what appears to be at random and not just Mexicans.

That is what I'd like to know.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Yeah true. But growing up in Texas I learned that there are some people that dislike Mexicans - yet they never went out and targeted and killed them.

To say his entire motive to plan, stage and actually shoot people can all be summed up in his hate of Mexicans doesn't make a lot of sense.
What is it that led him to actually decide to kill people? Especially what appears to be at random and not just Mexicans.

That is what I'd like to know.
He drove over 100 miles to El Paso because he knew that the city is 80% "Mexican".

He used a lot of Trump's language in his manifesto.