Washington Post editor attacks Bernie Sanders conspiracy theory

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
imagine the idea that an owner would have influence over that which he owns. tinfoil hat stuff!
I will say that both Trump and Sanders have certainly changed peoples mentality. Before they came to the forefront, Amazon was indeed the boogeyman. So was Koch Industries. Both the scourge of evil and the ones people pointed fingers at.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
I will say that both Trump and Sanders have certainly changed peoples mentality. Before they came to the forefront, Amazon was indeed the boogeyman. So was Koch Industries. Both the scourge of evil and the ones people pointed fingers at.
well you know, you and i see eye to eye on a lot, but we definitely don't seem to see eye to eye on WaPo. It's odd that I would ever see them and the NY Times as political adversaries, but I certainly do, and I found them to be trusted sources of information in my youth. They've become extensions of government and corporate power, their waning legacy of legitimacy is very valuable in this, but that value is fast waning. Their glory days of helping end the war in Vietnam and expose the corruption of the Nixon administration are long gone. For a long time now, their role has been to promote wars of choice (which is getting more and more difficult, and so must be invested with ever more institutional cache) and legitimize a government that is becoming more and more corrupt. Also an uphill task.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
well you know, you and i see eye to eye on a lot, but we definitely don't seem to see eye to eye on WaPo. It's odd that I would ever see them and the NY Times as political adversaries, but I certainly do, and I found them to be trusted sources of information in my youth. They've become extensions of government and corporate power, their waning legacy of legitimacy is very valuable in this, but that value . Their glory days of helping end the war in Vietnam and expose the corruption of the Nixon administration are long gone.
Well I have indeed lost a lot of confidence in both sources quite a bit. I still have the desire to trust them but I just dont all the time. WaPo does have a more slanted corporate agenda than they used to. Sure there are some older ones there who dont, but the newer ones seem to be all over. NYTimes also has some reporters that leave little to be desired. Plus they all gave free advertising to Trump in 2016 as did tv media and now are going overboard to repent. They have the power to make or break. Media shouldnt have that power.

I think Trumpism is eating peoples brains. The same people that railed against Amazon and how they are another Walmart and are killing mom and pops and the PO are now okey dokey with them because of Trump. I just dont play that game.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
i have confidence in WaPo and the NYTimes on the who, what, where, and when. they're great on that.

On the question of "why," they seem to be operating on the level of a baby that forgets a ball exists once a blanket's thrown over it.

But I have to also confess there seems to be a fight going on that I have jumped in in the middle of and don't know the parameters of. i didn't know there were shifting allegiances between walmart and amazon that are recalibrating themselves based on people's feelings about Trump. why are there different enormous private multinational corporations and oligarchs who have apparently aligned themselves with competing mainstream news sources, and no one sees this as a fundamental subversion of the fourth estate? (which, to be fair, was never what it was cut out to be anyway. Look at the Hearst organization.)

But the real takeaway for me, unsurprisingly, is Bezos' relationship with the CIA. Wasn't WaPo instrumental in amplifying the findings of the Church Committee, which was basically America's Eureka moment in learning that the US intelligence apparatus has long been insinuating its representatives into journalistic and popular press sources?

Democracy dies in darkness, indeed.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
i have confidence in WaPo and the NYTimes on the who, what, where, and when. they're great on that.

On the question of "why," they seem to be operating on the level of a baby that forgets a ball exists once a blanket's thrown over it.

But I have to also confess there seems to be a fight going on that I have jumped in in the middle of and don't know the parameters of. i didn't know there were shifting allegiances between walmart and amazon that are recalibrating themselves based on people's feelings about Trump. why are there different enormous private multinational corporations and oligarchs who have apparently aligned themselves with competing mainstream news sources, and no one sees this as a fundamental subversion of the fourth estate? (which, to be fair, was never what it was cut out to be anyway. Look at the Hearst organization.)

But the real takeaway for me, unsurprisingly, is Bezos' relationship with the CIA. Wasn't WaPo instrumental in amplifying the findings of the Church Committee, which was basically America's Eureka moment in learning that the US intelligence apparatus has long been insinuating its representatives into journalistic and popular press sources?

Democracy dies in darkness, indeed.
This is a decent article about the interesting parameters of Amazon and the parties perception. Interestingly its the reverse for Walmart. Politics are odd.

A Trump attack on an Amazon 'scam' is dividing wealthy Democrats and Republicans: CNBC survey reveals

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
i literally have glanced at this for about 1.5 seconds, but it looks like a cousin of the dynamic around jeffrey epstein where some people are saying he got wacked by the clintons, and some are insisting he got wacked by Trump.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
i'm finally getting my fat head around it. bezos is relatable to democrats. walmart (and by extension the kochs) is relatable to the republicans, because class can never truly be discussed, and instead everything must always be discussed in the context of identity and ideology.

the ultimate, unpleasant reason being that bezos and the kochs have more in common with each other than they do with us, but they both pick our pockets relentlessly to sustain the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed, and so it is in their interest to pit us against each other.