We are in the middle of a new civil war

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
As I see it......it's the intelligent vs the ignorant.

Thoughts? (Insult will be the obvious default position from the some but hopefully not all)
This is a serious subject...looking for honest ideas.
It's worth a shot.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Maryland beach
I think you are right about the Civil War, but not about who is on each side. I would say that it is a war of ideologies, not knowledge. Some people have one idea on how to live and what kind of country they live in, other people another idea.

Dec 2015
SoCal
I think you are right about the Civil War, but not about who is on each side. I would say that it is a war of ideologies, not knowledge. Some people have one idea on how to live and what kind of country they live in, other people another idea.
Then Trump came along, so now it is the ignorant vs. the uneducated.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I can agree with that but one side bases their ideology on knowledge of our COTUS and the rule of law.
The other side bases their ideology on crazy conspiracy theories, hatred and ignorance of the law.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
SoCal
I can agree with that but one side bases their ideas on how to live on knowledge of our COTUS and the rule of law.
The other side bases their ideas on crazy conspiracy theories, hatred and ignorance of the law.
Not only ignorance toward the law, but a real lack of respect for the law.

Jan 2018
Maryland beach
I can agree with that but one side bases their ideology on knowledge of our COTUS and the rule of law.
The other side bases their ideology on crazy conspiracy theories, hatred and ignorance of the law.
I think both sides are more than happy to embrace conspiracy theories as long as the victim of those theories is a political enemy. I have also seen plenty of hate coming from all sides.

Jan 2018
The greatest place in America, California
I think what you are searching for is the uncommon denominator. That would be religion. Religion has a tendency to prohibit the mind from accepting reality, or truth. This occurs when the fairy tales are believed so adamantly that it precludes rational thought. I mean look at the preachers with million dollar homes and airplanes and huge centers for themselves but nary a dime goes to anyone who needs it. That is what separates the ideologies, and to a greater extent education and knowledge.

Jan 2018
Maryland beach
I think what you are searching for is the uncommon denominator. That would be religion. Religion has a tendency to prohibit the mind from accepting reality, or truth. This occurs when the fairy tales are believed so adamantly that it precludes rational thought. I mean look at the preachers with million dollar homes and airplanes and huge centers for themselves but nary a dime goes to anyone who needs it. That is what separates the ideologies, and to a greater extent education and knowledge.
I don't really think it has much to do with religion. Plenty of religious folk on both sides of this ideological civil unrest. Even if religion does get in the way of rational thought, which I agree that it does in many ways, religion is not the only thing affecting people in such a way. Any opinion or closely held ideal will do the same thing.

Jan 2018
The greatest place in America, California
I don't really think it has much to do with religion. Plenty of religious folk on both sides of this ideological civil unrest. Even if religion does get in the way of rational thought, which I agree that it does in many ways, religion is not the only thing affecting people in such a way. Any opinion or closely held ideal will do the same thing.
Look at where the real source of dissension comes from and look at the bible belt. They pretty much over lap.

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
Here's a great article that explains much of the ignorance, persay.

The Psychology Behind Donald Trump's Unwavering Support -Psychology Today

1. The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Some believe that many of those who support Donald Trump do so because of ignorance — basically they are under-informed or misinformed about the issues at hand.

2. Hypersensitivity to Threat
Science has unequivocally shown that the conservative brain has an exaggerated fear response when faced with stimuli that may be perceived as threatening. A 2008 study (link is external) in the journal Science found that conservatives have a stronger physiological reaction to startling noises and graphic images compared to liberals.

3. Terror Management Theory
A well-supported theory from social psychology, called Terror Management Theory, explains why Trump’s fear mongering is doubly effective.
The theory is based on the fact that humans have a unique awareness of their own mortality. The inevitably of one’s death creates existential terror and anxiety that is always residing below the surface. In order to manage this terror, humans adopt cultural worldviews — like religions, political ideologies, and national identities — that act as a buffer by instilling life with meaning and value.

4. High Attentional Engagement

According to a recent study (link is external) that monitored brain activity while participants watched 40 minutes of political ads and debate clips from the presidential candidates, Donald Trump is unique in his ability to keep the brain engaged. While Hillary Clinton could only hold attention for so long, Trump kept both attention and emotional arousal high throughout the viewing session. This pattern of activity was seen even when Trump made remarks that individuals didn’t necessarily agree with. His showmanship and simple messages clearly resonate at a visceral level.
Essentially, the loyalty of Trump supporters may in part be explained by America’s addiction with entertainment and reality TV. To some, it doesn’t matter what Trump actually says because he’s so amusing to watch. With Donald, you are always left wondering what outrageous thing he is going to say or do next. He keeps us on the edge of our seat, and for that reason, some Trump supporters will forgive anything he says. They are happy as long as they are kept entertained.