WE have been in over 100 wars and 3 or 4 needed to be fought, all the rest were lies or stupidity.

Mar 2015
Minnesota
I'm sure this has been brought up more then once but the most common reason for getting involved in these wars seem to be for some corporate interest ,Trying to kill off native Americans or probably the stupidest reason of all , the domino effect. How can a population be so easily controlled that murdering people is somehow acceptable . Now how does that work. If your corporate presidents sends you to war , then the people that are sent to war can kill at will and it is not murder but something else. Were does this justification to kill come from. example, every war we have been in during my lifetime has been a lie, so if the soldier realizes this, does he still get the thumbs up when he kills people. Were does this idea come from. What seems to happen is that young men and women are sent to war at a very young age and adding a few years to the life, brings them the realization that the war they were in was a lie and then the emotional collapse that comes with this realizations , gives them a life of guilt and mental illness. Seems to be every where you look.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Americans are the most warlike people on the planet. Shrug. Violence is as American as apple pie and motherhood!

Those dirty hippies had that slogan "Make Love Not War!" God, no WONDER America HATED them! Have you ever HEARD anything so goddamned UN-AMERICAN in your life?!?!?

REAL Americans love to go out and STOMP on any Third World nation that dares to look at us cross-eyed! From little pipsqueaks like Grenada to Great Big Bad Boys like Iran, and our great President Donald Trump has Iran right in his cross-hairs! They do ONE MORE THING WRONG, and POW!!

That's IT! We oughtter NUKE any of these countries out there that are playin' around with ATOMS anyhow! That's just too DANGEROUS to even ALLOW!!

Mar 2015
Minnesota
Americans are the most warlike people on the planet. Shrug. Violence is as American as apple pie and motherhood!

Those dirty hippies had that slogan "Make Love Not War!" God, no WONDER America HATED them! Have you ever HEARD anything so goddamned UN-AMERICAN in your life?!?!?

REAL Americans love to go out and STOMP on any Third World nation that dares to look at us cross-eyed! From little pipsqueaks like Grenada to Great Big Bad Boys like Iran, and our great President Donald Trump has Iran right in his cross-hairs! They do ONE MORE THING WRONG, and POW!!

That's IT! We oughtter NUKE any of these countries out there that are playin' around with ATOMS anyhow! That's just too DANGEROUS to even ALLOW!!
ya but it's because they are evil and of course we aren't

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I'm sure this has been brought up more then once but the most common reason for getting involved in these wars seem to be for some corporate interest ,Trying to kill off native Americans or probably the stupidest reason of all , the domino effect. How can a population be so easily controlled that murdering people is somehow acceptable . Now how does that work. If your corporate presidents sends you to war , then the people that are sent to war can kill at will and it is not murder but something else. Were does this justification to kill come from. example, every war we have been in during my lifetime has been a lie, so if the soldier realizes this, does he still get the thumbs up when he kills people. Were does this idea come from. What seems to happen is that young men and women are sent to war at a very young age and adding a few years to the life, brings them the realization that the war they were in was a lie and then the emotional collapse that comes with this realizations , gives them a life of guilt and mental illness. Seems to be every where you look.
Where does it come from? My guess would be our history of colonialism. We genuinely believe we're doing the "savages" a favor by running their shit. Kind if like that guy that got killed trying to bring the word of god to that island.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
You've got the capacity to help people who need help. Almost noone else in history has had that capacity. An actual ability to genuinely help people who need it.

That presents a constant moral dilemma. Not helping when you could feels like a choice. I can look at peoples misery in Venezuela and say "nothing we can do about it. Unless they need some snowmobiles or donuts". You look at the same people and say " we could actually do something if we decided to. We have that ability"

That's a lot of pressure. And helping always has unintended consequences.

Jan 2016
Colorado
You've got the capacity to help people who need help. Almost noone else in history has had that capacity. An actual ability to genuinely help people who need it.

That presents a constant moral dilemma. Not helping when you could feels like a choice. I can look at peoples misery in Venezuela and say "nothing we can do about it. Unless they need some snowmobiles or donuts". You look at the same people and say " we could actually do something if we decided to. We have that ability"

That's a lot of pressure. And helping always has unintended consequences.
Sounds like you're saying America could actually be a benevolent empire, if we wanted to be!

What a RADICAL concept!

I think that sounds like an EXCELLENT idea, myself!

Especially since I think Donald Trump is trying to turn America into an Evil Empire.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Sounds like you're saying America could actually be a benevolent empire, if we wanted to be!

What a RADICAL concept!

I think that sounds like an EXCELLENT idea, myself!

Especially since I think Donald Trump is trying to turn America into an Evil Empire.
Yeah but "helping" means a whole barrel of monkeys of other new problems, and the US will get blamed for all of them.

Then someone else will need help.

I don't envy the US voters. You've got a local representative and bridges and highways to fix but you're also voting on Korean unification and middle Eastern wars and Russian containment and a hundred other things. And only two choices.

May 2016
california
War and politics has been around since before recorded history. Considering the weapons we have now it might be a point in our favor we haven't destroyed the world. At least so far.