We Humans Are A Mongrel Species

Jan 2016
Colorado
When our ancestors left Africa, we interbred with at least five other species, many of them in the complex geography of island Southeast Asia:

Out of Africa and into an archaic human melting pot

Genetic analysis has revealed that the ancestors of modern humans interbred with at least five different archaic human groups as they moved out of Africa and across Eurasia.

Much more at the link.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
A key paragraph from the link:
"The timing also makes it look like the arrival of modern humans was followed quickly by the demise of the archaic human groups in each area."
Our ancestors were like Paleolithic Vikings, except after they killed all the men, they stayed.

This leaves me with lots of questions, mostly about race.....

Jun 2014
United States
A key paragraph from the link: Our ancestors were like Paleolithic Vikings, except after they killed all the men, they stayed.

This leaves me with lots of questions, mostly about race.....

It's entirely possible that they could have interbred without killing off all of the men.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
When our ancestors left Africa, we interbred with at least five other species, many of them in the complex geography of island Southeast Asia:

Out of Africa and into an archaic human melting pot

Genetic analysis has revealed that the ancestors of modern humans interbred with at least five different archaic human groups as they moved out of Africa and across Eurasia.

Much more at the link.
So which of those 6 species are you descended from? Sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
The definition of mongrel is that we are descended from all of them.
It doesn't make sense to suggest we are all descended from all of them. The OP suggests that everyone has some Neanderthal and Denisovan, but there's no evidence that humans all migrated to SE Asia and then migrated back to the rest of the Old World.

I know that European humans have MORE Neanderthal genes than people from other places. I'm like 86% more Neanderthal than average.