We need a real War on Christmas

Apr 2012
East coast USA
I agree about the amount of waste. I buy a lot on line or and/or have delivered, the packaging is cardboard. I end up with copious amount of cardboard.
I should break it all down, trimimg it to uniform size, box it, gift wrap it, send it off to a favorite friend.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
One way to alleviate the problem is to buy people gift cards that are redeemable at “big box” stores so people can use the cards to buy essentials like groceries or take their time to buy what they really want or need. Or we could limit gift-giving to children. How about “Christmas is for Kids” as a slogan?
This is what we always do every Christmas. Mainly because the wife and myself have relatives spread out all over the world, so it's a lot easier and cheaper for us.
For all the relatives and their kids that are close to us we usually give cash. Strange how gift cards and cash never seem to be given back as an unwanted gift. ;)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Oldest son Bday is Dec. 24th. Yep, sucks
My sisters b-day is a few days pasts Christmas. So yes her birthdays sucked also LOL. I actually felt bad for her. Well about as much or little as a sibling can some times. LOL:p
lol My sister's birthday is September 1st, which is Day of Knowledge, first day of school back there, in Abkhazia and Russia.

She'd bring flowers for her teachers, as is the custom over there, for Day of Knowledge

but, unlike the other kids, the teachers would also give her gifts in return lol

Some of her classmates, who didn't yet know it's her birthday, would be like, WTF, why is she getting stuff back, and not the rest of us???

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I agree about the amount of waste. I buy a lot on line or and/or have delivered, the packaging is cardboard. I end up with copious amount of cardboard.
I should break it all down, trimimg it to uniform size, box it, gift wrap it, send it off to a favorite friend.
I have the same problem ... lots of boxes left over after (mostly) Amazon purchases. Got rid of a couple today to someone who needs to pack & move some books, but I still have most of them. Ugh.

Sep 2012
SoCal
I have the same problem ... lots of boxes left over after (mostly) Amazon purchases. Got rid of a couple today to someone who needs to pack & move some books, but I still have most of them. Ugh.
We have a neighborhood website. I'm breaking down boxes, again, put them on my porch swing, tell people to come and get 'em. Somebody always wants them … moving out, moving in, selling on eBay.

Jan 2016
Colorado
lol My sister's birthday is September 1st, which is Day of Knowledge, first day of school back there, in Abkhazia and Russia.

She'd bring flowers for her teachers, as is the custom over there, for Day of Knowledge

but, unlike the other kids, the teachers would also give her gifts in return lol

Some of her classmates, who didn't yet know it's her birthday, would be like, WTF, why is she getting stuff back, and not the rest of us???
Day of Knowledge, heh. Reminds me of the slogan at the base of the statue of Emil Faber, founder of Faber College in the movie 'Animal House'. The slogan read:

Knowledge Is Good.