We, the Walmart people.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Yes,we know that, but all who live in those areas are not ignorant Rednecks.

My Grandson chose out of 6 Colleges to go to the oldest College in the Country in Athens because he preferred their Curriculum. He is majoring in Computer Engineering..

Athens is also the number 1 city where Millennials are moving. Most can work any where

Appalachian Mountains - Wikipedia

The funny thing is we do not have mountains in Ohio. We have hills. I know, I grew up close to the Ohio River.

Nov 2013
NY
Aldi, German chocoate!

Did you know the owners of Aldi and Trader Joes are brothers? A German company started by their Father, the brothers decided to split. Specialty items in both stores. I like both.
Well.. somewhat..yet not really. ALDI was grown to today's mega company by two brothers, yes... but they had a fall out, and separated their company at some point into 2, one for the north, and one for the south of Germany. Branding / Logo stayed the same, certain bulk contracts of products as well.. but there are product offers at Aldi south, that are not available at Aldi North, etc.

The expansion of Aldi into the US, was done by either of the two companies, so they both operate US stores, independently.

Trader Joe's was purchased in the US by Aldi North in 1979, but operates until today as a sole brand with it's own management.

Interestingly enough, Trader Joe's in Europe, is now all owned by Aldi South (the North / South company split only occurred full in 1996).

By now , both brothers have passed (2010, 2014).

Jan 2016
Colorado
Aldi, German chocoate!

Did you know the owners of Aldi and Trader Joes are brothers? A German company started by their Father, the brothers decided to split. Specialty items in both stores. I like both.
No Aldi stores in Colorado, or even in neighboring states. Trader Joe's only got here about five years ago or so.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Well.. somewhat..yet not really. ALDI was grown to today's mega company by two brothers, yes... but they had a fall out, and separated their company at some point into 2, one for the north, and one for the south of Germany. Branding / Logo stayed the same, certain bulk contracts of products as well.. but there are product offers at Aldi south, that are not available at Aldi North, etc.

The expansion of Aldi into the US, was done by either of the two companies, so they both operate US stores, independently.

Trader Joe's was purchased in the US by Aldi North in 1979, but operates until today as a sole brand with it's own management.

Interestingly enough, Trader Joe's in Europe, is now all owned by Aldi South (the North / South company split only occurred full in 1996).

By now , both brothers have passed (2010, 2014).
Yes, the family did not like publicity..

https://www.smh.com.au/national/ald...e-after-family-kidnapping-20100729-10xxg.html

Germany: millions still missing after men behind 1971 kidnapping both die

I once googled after learning they are brothers.

Germany: millions still missing after men behind 1971 kidnapping both die

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
No Aldi stores in Colorado, or even in neighboring states. Trader Joe's only got here about five years ago or so.
Aldi's is very basic, minimalist , economy. Clark Howard recommends them, along with Dollar Tree. Trader Joes is more a place where you can find the unusual.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I certainly never meant to imply that.
Most others do.:)

Just like any area or state there are pockets of both. Southeastern Ohio is mostly a work desert. The reason so many moved away. My hometown on the Ohio River is really bad, but the small rural area I grew up in seems to be flourishing. I actually almost missed my Dad’s house because all of the lots that were vacant are all full of houses. My Dad’s huge garden had 2 houses on it.

My Grandson wondered why so many are moving to Athens. Outside of the University,and Hocking Hills,a great State Park, there is not a lot, but it seems Millennials like the easy living and housing costs.

Blueneck can tell you about her city. I have not been there for years.

Sep 2012
SoCal
Aldi's is very basic, minimalist , economy. Clark Howard recommends them, along with Dollar Tree. Trader Joes is more a place where you can find the unusual.
There's an Aldi in our town, at the far end of the valley from me, but they're building another about a mile from me at MY end of the valley. The first one is much too close to WM.

Sep 2012
SoCal
When I worked in Dresden the village association was able to funds to help pay for advertising for tourism through the Appalachia Regional Commission. We don't exactly fit the image of what most people would expect, but we do have our share of hillbillies & rednecks. It's a great combination of urban & rural around here.

Except starting tomorrow we're gonna be covered in snow it looks like. :(
I was born and raised in Akron, but my dad's family is out of Sistersville and Charleston, went there in late18th century from Virginia and Pennsylvania, but my dad was born in Akron. Pretty country. My dad used to say they were not "hillbillies", they were "Mountain Williams".

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
There's an Aldi in our town, at the far end of the valley from me, but they're building another about a mile from me at MY end of the valley. The first one is much too close to WM.
Ours opened in an old Shopping Mall, but then built new in an area that is fast growing on Main Street. Right next to 170, to be honest I didnot go there for a long time. The store was clean, but too basic. Thenew store is different, but small.

They carry their own brands, Ketchup, Mayo Butter, Margarine. Quality is equal to name brands.The store has 4 Employees. Everything comes in boxes,easy to stock. Fresh produce. Everything is about $1 cheaper.. great for basics.