Weird experience...

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
So my son (a high school freshman) is on his school's debate team. And to encourage him to stick with it, I've volunteered as a judge. So early this morning, they bused us to a school in another district, where I'll be judging other students all day. We start in another ninety minutes, so I'm just wasting time right now, and getting used to the keyboard on my new netbook. But this particular tournament is in a Catholic school. This is the first time I've ever been inside one - and as such, it's weird. I'm walking down hallways that are architecturally identical to every other modern high school - but every time I turn my head, there's a crucifix on the wall. And bible quotes. The Christmas display includes an actual crèche.

My brain is hardwired to scream "church / state violation" every five minutes - but this is their turf, so it's perfectly legitimate. It's just weird from my personal perspective.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
There's a 70's Irish comedian, Dave Allen, who described his first day at school,, where the nun bends over him in her flowing robes and tells him he's going to be a good little boy, and he looks up at a guy nailed to a cross on the wall, and thinks "Too right I will!"

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
I have heard that Religious Freedoms can be a difficult concept for some folks.
Where did anyone say it was "a difficult concept?" One poster just said it seemed 'weird" to him, as in something he was not used to seeing. So what?
He voice any criticism, any objections, voice any desire to pull his kid out of the debate and leave that facility?

In short, what the fuck are you whining about now?

May 2013
Boise, ID
So my son (a high school freshman) is on his school's debate team. And to encourage him to stick with it, I've volunteered as a judge. So early this morning, they bused us to a school in another district, where I'll be judging other students all day. We start in another ninety minutes, so I'm just wasting time right now, and getting used to the keyboard on my new netbook. But this particular tournament is in a Catholic school. This is the first time I've ever been inside one - and as such, it's weird. I'm walking down hallways that are architecturally identical to every other modern high school - but every time I turn my head, there's a crucifix on the wall. And bible quotes. The Christmas display includes an actual crèche.

My brain is hardwired to scream "church / state violation" every five minutes - but this is their turf, so it's perfectly legitimate. It's just weird from my personal perspective.
Nice - We love the smell of fresh Catholic guilt in the morning! ;)

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Where did anyone say it was "a difficult concept?" One poster just said it seemed 'weird" to him, as in something he was not used to seeing. So what?
He voice any criticism, any objections, voice any desire to pull his kid out of the debate and leave that facility?

In short, what the fuck are you whining about now?
Djinn is used to separation of Church and State, but he is in a Catholic Private School. He feels strange. Just an observation.

I felt down right uncomfortable at a Catholic Funeral. But I was watching a Priest bully an Alter Boy. The kid was scared to death he would make a mistake, of course he did. And half my Fathers family was Catholic. The other half Lutheran. With a Methodist Minister on the other side I was pretty well covered. Now I have a brother who is a Nazerene Minister.

Oct 2018
WonderfulOregon

It has to be a private school No reason why they can't join outside schools for debate activities...If they only had other Catholic schools to compete with, they just won't have as many groups involved.

Has to be private

Example in Sports..Seems to be Albany NY
High school sports: the public vs. private debate
NYSPHSAA explores crowning separate state champions

Schools in the Genessee Valley, near Rochester, are discussing Aquinas Institute*, a private school that has won nine sectional football titles

Aquina's Little Irish teams claimed both the state football and basketball titles - beating two Capital Region public schools en route:

*Aquinas Institute is a college preparatory co-educational Catholic school for grades 6 - 12.
Aquinas Institute - Home

Last edited:

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Latest observation... No women's rooms. Several of the men's rooms have pieces of paper over the signs designating them "WOMEN'S ROOM" for the duration of the event. Apparently, it's an all-boys school.