Weird experience...

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
Some Catholic iconography is downright gruesome. The Sacred Heart used to give me nightmares.

The Catholic universe is a sick place. I know it all too well from years of the attempted indoctrination.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
So my son (a high school freshman) is on his school's debate team. And to encourage him to stick with it, I've volunteered as a judge. So early this morning, they bused us to a school in another district, where I'll be judging other students all day. We start in another ninety minutes, so I'm just wasting time right now, and getting used to the keyboard on my new netbook. But this particular tournament is in a Catholic school. This is the first time I've ever been inside one - and as such, it's weird. I'm walking down hallways that are architecturally identical to every other modern high school - but every time I turn my head, there's a crucifix on the wall. And bible quotes. The Christmas display includes an actual crèche.

My brain is hardwired to scream "church / state violation" every five minutes - but this is their turf, so it's perfectly legitimate. It's just weird from my personal perspective.
If it's like any other Catholic building I've been in, I just sit back and enjoy the architecture. Catholics know how to build really beautiful buildings!! (I was married in a Catholic Church)

Reactions: HCProf

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
I have heard that Religious Freedoms can be a difficult concept for some folks.

The concept of freedom itself is a difficult one for conservos to grasp.

They tend to get it confused with authoritarianism.

Imagine that. Pretty stupid of them, isn't it?

Reactions: Friday13

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
If it's like any other Catholic building I've been in, I just sit back and enjoy the architecture. Catholics know how to build really beautiful buildings!! (I was married in a Catholic Church)
I agree. I am not Catholic but A LOT of my friends are. We have beautiful Catholic churches here. My favorite is in Little Italy. The Church as built in 1910 and is considered a historical site.

Reactions: HayJenn