Weird experience...

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
The one I'm still in now? It's a private school. And I was very clear in my OP that I'm on "their turf." I've no objection to anything they do on their turf. I'm just sharing my personal opinion that it seems a little weird to me.

You suggested that "staying away from their facilities" was the best way to "be free of (Christian's) religion." That's a different subject. Do you hold to the belief that your solution should cut both ways?
My comment was not directed at you.

And, I realize it's a different subject as evidenced by the sarcasm in my response.

Feb 2015
sadness
My only experience with ruler-carrying nuns comes from watching the scene with the nun in "The Blues Brothers." I'm not sure how far that deviates from the truth, but I have to assume that Universal Pictures took creative license.
ive never seen that movie... but what ever they showed.... in real life its much worse. They dont take crap from anyone. The person both boys and girls were TERRIFIED of brother draper. OMG..... all you had to do was threaten someone with being sent to brother draper whoever it was was instantly turned into a compliant blubbering mass of tears.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I've never seen (the Blues Brothers) movie ... but what ever they showed.... in real life its much worse. They dont take crap from anyone. The person both boys and girls were TERRIFIED of brother draper. OMG..... all you had to do was threaten someone with being sent to brother draper whoever it was was instantly turned into a compliant blubbering mass of tears.
You have a new project for this weekend, and I'll hit with a two-week ban if you don't pass Monday's test.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
So did you make it out with your life Djinn? No lightning bolts coming for ya?
Yeah, it was fine... Other than the weird (again from my perspective) juxtaposition of religious themes/icons with the architecture and design of a modern highschool, it was just another debate club tournament chock full of about 250 nerds from several dozen public and private schools.

And to MaryAnne's comment yes ... Judging is tiring, but I think the larger factor was that we had to get up at about 6:00am Saturday, so I went to bed early.

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
I went to an all boys private school back in Normandy, MO. Growing up Catholic, you learn to take everything for granted.

As I got older, I went to a public school, and started to question church teachings.

I am no longer a Catholic, but I have family members, but I don't think they attend church on a regular basis.

Based on what I've seen over the past few years, with the abuse of young boys and girls, I am glad left that church.

Catholics are big on statues and pomp and circumstances. I guess it would be alarming for someone who didn't grow up in that culture, but for those who grew up around the traditions, etc., it was the norm.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
You have a new project for this weekend, and I'll hit with a two-week ban if you don't pass Monday's test.
I have only seen about half the film. Does that mean I only get a 1-week ban? :zany:

(In everyone's defense ... it's not on Netflix, Prime or Hulu ... :( )

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I went to an all boys private school back in Normandy, MO. Growing up Catholic, you learn to take everything for granted.

As I got older, I went to a public school, and started to question church teachings.

I am no longer a Catholic, but I have family members, but I don't think they attend church on a regular basis.

Based on what I've seen over the past few years, with the abuse of young boys and girls, I am glad left that church.

Catholics are big on statues and pomp and circumstances. I guess it would be alarming for someone who didn't grow up in that culture, but for those who grew up around the traditions, etc., it was the norm.
There are a lot of ex-Catholics out there. I think their rules became a little too much for people today, such as birth control, divorce, etc. I remember my best friend in HS, her Mom was ex-communicated because she divorced her first husband and it did not matter that he beat her daily prior to the divorce. It was crushing to this poor woman. I am not Catholic but attended services with friends for various events over the years and the weird part to me, I did not know the ebb and flow of Mass. Stand up, sit down, the prayers, etc. I was invited a couple of years ago to attend Mosque with a friend of mine, she knows I am curious but I chickened out at the last minute because I literally understood nothing about what to expect. I did not want to embarrass her or myself and was afraid I would be exposed to just being nosy. :) I would have stuck out like a sore thumb. LOL

Catholic schools around here have changed a lot. Nuns are a very small percentage of teachers these days, if at all. I think I read it is down to 3%. Nuns and Priests are a dying breed. Most of the bigger Catholic schools around here are all about football and academic excellence. We have a couple of them that are known for STEM and MCAT scores. The football schools are prime recruitment for college football scholarships. Hallways full of football trophies. Some of the Catholic schools participate in the voucher program. The majority of students today who attend Catholic schools are not even Catholic and same with the staff.