Weird experience...

Feb 2015
sadness
Yeah, it was fine... Other than the weird (again from my perspective) juxtaposition of religious themes/icons with the architecture and design of a modern highschool, it was just another debate club tournament chock full of about 250 nerds from several dozen public and private schools.

And to MaryAnne's comment yes ... Judging is tiring, but I think the larger factor was that we had to get up at about 6:00am Saturday, so I went to bed early.
so how did the little ruggers do in the debate? Was there a clear winner? What was the topic on the table?

I always joke when going into anything religious, to watch for the lightning bolts crossing the threshold.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
As HCProf said in a prior post, nuns and priests are a dying breed in the US these days. Catholics have always been a minority here in the southeast, but we do have three Catholic churches nearby. All three of them are now served by a single priest who rotates between them, and he came here from South America. He speaks pretty good English though, in spite of his accent.

All of the religious schools around here are either protestant or non-denominational Christian. Most of them are basically segregation academies.
We have a retirement community for Nuns where I will attend a yoga retreat sometimes. There are so few of them, the building is rented out for things like yoga retreats, cooking (enrichment) classes, etc. We have a few nuns at the hospital I work but they are executives who handle the Sisters of St. Augustine foundation....$$$$. They dress like any other professional in their field, very educated with MBA's, they live on their own. You would never know they were nuns. Around where my Dad lives in Tenn, you will see several Catholic churches that were started during the Hispanic immigration wave about 20 years ago. Prior to that, a Catholic church was scarce. They own a lot of stores, shops, car repair shops etc and you always see their statues in their places of business. No one complains about it and continue to support their businesses.

Feb 2015
sadness
FWIW, while I was in the school, I saw no school employees wearing any form of religious attire. Lots of people helping with the event, and they were wearing shirts with little embroidered school logos, but no nuns, or anyone else of a religious capacity (that I recognized from attire).
lol... lots of people helping with the event. Let me tell you what that is all about.... parents are required to put in so many hours per child per week... if not their tuition goes up. Many of the religious now wear street cloths, more so in the schools. Trust me... they are there somewhere.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
so how did the little ruggers do in the debate? Was there a clear winner? What was the topic on the table?

I always joke when going into anything religious, to watch for the lightning bolts crossing the threshold.
Debate club is ... not what I expected. It's not strictly debate. It's more like a decathlon, in which you have a dozen events, all taking place simultaneously. There are perhaps a dozen variants of actual debate. There are also events for Dramatic Interpretation, Exposition, Extemporaneous Speaking, Original Oratory, and so forth. And I'm supposed to listen to these speakers, and simultaneously take notes, and ultimately rank them, which is no easy task. Especially at the varsity level when most/all of the speakers are excellent.

Feb 2015
sadness
Debate club is ... not what I expected. It's not strictly debate. It's more like a decathlon, in which you have a dozen events, all taking place simultaneously. There are perhaps a dozen variants of actual debate. There are also events for Dramatic Interpretation, Exposition, Extemporaneous Speaking, Original Oratory, and so forth. And I'm supposed to listen to these speakers, and simultaneously take notes, and ultimately rank them, which is no easy task. Especially at the varsity level when most/all of the speakers are excellent.

agreed... so how did you get roped in? :)