Weird experience...

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Yeah, it was fine... Other than the weird (again from my perspective) juxtaposition of religious themes/icons with the architecture and design of a modern highschool, it was just another debate club tournament chock full of about 250 nerds from several dozen public and private schools.

And to MaryAnne's comment yes ... Judging is tiring, but I think the larger factor was that we had to get up at about 6:00am Saturday, so I went to bed early.
I have been doing that often, Djinn since the days are shorter. A warm bed and good book are really welcome.:)

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I went to an all boys private school back in Normandy, MO. Growing up Catholic, you learn to take everything for granted.

As I got older, I went to a public school, and started to question church teachings.

I am no longer a Catholic, but I have family members, but I don't think they attend church on a regular basis.

Based on what I've seen over the past few years, with the abuse of young boys and girls, I am glad left that church.

Catholics are big on statues and pomp and circumstances. I guess it would be alarming for someone who didn't grow up in that culture, but for those who grew up around the traditions, etc., it was the norm.

The worst part is that none of that Pomp and Circomstances with all the gold and trappings have anything to do with faith. I am sure you realized that. Good to know you decided for yourself.

I have been in Churches where the people seem to worship the Pastor instead of God. No matter how many mean and hateful Sermons they preached.

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
The worst part is that none of that Pomp and Circomstances with all the gold and trappings have anything to do with faith. I am sure you realized that. Good to know you decided for yourself.

I have been in Churches where the people seem to worship the Pastor instead of God. No matter how many mean and hateful Sermons they preached.
I haven't heard any fire and brimstone sermons here in Maryland, but when I lived in Illinois, I heard a few of them. The best sermons to me are those that have a good message, offer examples of how we should treat one another, with an overall theme of loving God and loving your neighbor. Scripture references are important.

Preachers, IMO, who refer to their own life experiences connect better.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
agreed... so how did you get roped in? :)
My son's in ninth grade - and he joined. Early on, he was rather intimidated by the demands, and was considering quitting. I volunteered as a judge to reinforce his interest. Obviously, I can't judge any event in which he's competing. In fact, it's very rare that I'm permitted to judge anyone from his school. But being involved with the event for the whole day sustains his interest and willingness to stick with the activity.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I haven't heard any fire and brimstone sermons here in Maryland, but when I lived in Illinois, I heard a few of them. The best sermons to me are those that have a good message, offer examples of how we should treat one another, with an overall theme of loving God and loving your neighbor. Scripture references are important.

Preachers, IMO, who refer to their own life experiences connect better.
The Church I am in now preaches Love, understanding and taking care of each other. Based on the New Testament, folloing in the footsteps of Jesus. A long established Church a few doors from me. Church Of The Brethren. Founded in the 1800’s.

My last Church was Southern Baptist. I do understand at the last Convention they threw out the Leader, who was caught with a teen ager. The moderates finnally won in that Church

Feb 2015
sadness
My son's in ninth grade - and he joined. Early on, he was rather intimidated by the demands, and was considering quitting. I volunteered as a judge to reinforce his interest. Obviously, I can't judge any event in which he's competing. In fact, it's very rare that I'm permitted to judge anyone from his school. But being involved with the event for the whole day sustains his interest and willingness to stick with the activity.
excellent!!!! Great dad maneuver if there ever was one. How did he do?

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Dad can work miracles with boys. My Son even helped teach an Engineering class my Grandson was teaching in High School.Those 2 argue like crazy but guess who he calls for advice?

Great that you are helping him with public Speaking. You are building confidence.A required course in College, my Grandson is taking in his second year.

Any idea where your Son is leaning, Djinn?