"We've had problems with 'people like you' before"

Sep 2012
SoCal
The manager "thought they looked like they could be shoplifters" …

White manager calls police on black kids for shoplifting, but they have the receipts
Ukiah Swain is the mother of four teenage boys who were harassed by a manager at a Kroger’s in Mesquite, Texas last week. Swain told Dallas Fort Worth’s NBC5 that the manager at that store called the police on her teenage sons after they purchased snacks at the store. Why did he call them? For shoplifting. Why did the manager single out these black male teens? According to 16-year-old Zavarion Swain, the manager told him "We've had problems with people like you before."

When the police arrived, the teens produced the receipts, freshly printed, but still received a trespassing warning. This means that for one year, any one of these kids can be arrested at the discretion of either the manager or the police if they step foot inside of that Kroger establishment.

Zavarion’s mother, Ukiah, then confronted the manager, who laughed and told her that he thought they looked like they could be shoplifters. After posting a video of the aftermath to Facebook, local news picked up the story and Kroger’s has quickly gone into damage control mode, promising “sensitivity training” to all staff in Northern-Texas Kroger stores, as well as saying that they have “rescinded” the complaint against the kids.

...MORE...

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
LMAO @ the Daily Kooks ......

Why is this under the Racism category?

Sounds to me like this is more of a profiling issue.

We should probably dare not mention any kinds of crime statistic here.

We wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

We should just leave it at racism because the Manager was White and the accused were Black.

That makes our Leftist friends feeeeel better about it anyway, right?

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I have observed some pretty blatant racism against blacks in Detroit by Arab owned convenience stores. A lot of those stores are located in poor, Black neighborhoods and the stores have signs that limit the time spent in the store, such as 10 minutes if they have not found anything to purchase. They also follow black kids around in the store to make sure they don't steal anything. It is truly disgusting.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I have observed some pretty blatant racism against blacks in Detroit by Arab owned convenience stores. A lot of those stores are located in poor, Black neighborhoods and the stores have signs that limit the time spent in the store, such as 10 minutes if they have not found anything to purchase. They also follow black kids around in the store to make sure they don't steal anything. It is truly disgusting.
Roma/Gypsies are similarly stereotyped in Russia. As thieves and such, because of their history and such.

It has caused problems there too.

Back in 2015, there was a big brouhaha, when this supermarket security guard in Moscow, himself a minority, Armenian like me

apparently hit this (ethnic Roma) boy

with this electric stun device

it left marks on his body

The guard accused the kid of stealing some ice cream, no joke. In reality, it seems some kind man offered to buy the young lad the ice cream, and the guard did not see that.

The guard ended up fired and even went to prison. But the case caused a lot of issues between the Armenian and Roma communities, to this day... My own uncle told me at the time (he owns several butcher shops in Moscow), at one of his stores, which is in a neighborhood where many Romas live, and they know the store is owned by Armenians and most employees there are Armenian too, some Roma men came and actually threatened the guy who was there, the manager, with knifes and guns... That one called his own relatives, also armed, to go after those guys in return, before uncle told them all to chill the fuck out... It was crazy. Almost turned into a fucking war, over this kid. Armenians and Romas both have own mafia factions and such over there, both have plenty of muscle and guns, though the Armenian diaspora is much more numerous, countrywide (around 3 million vs. 200,000 Romas). Could have got quite bloody... Thank God smart people on both sides were able to steer things to a peaceful resolution...