What about having a trained security dog in class rooms?

Sep 2016
My own world
Can we put attack dogs at the side of teachers in classrooms? I bet they are more of a deterrent than teachers carrying guns. No way a kid acts out aggressively in class with a trained guard dog sitting next to the teacher. The dogs could also be trained to sniff out drugs or ammo and may solve more than just one problem plaguing schools.

Problems = allergies = I guess they could be bred to have hair not fur.

Fear of dogs= get over it or get home schooled.

Teacher would have to own the dog and take it home much like cops with dogs.

Don’t need each teacher to have one, could have as many or as little security dogs as teachers and school decide is appropriate.

Reactions: 2 people
Sep 2016
My own world
It would improve classroom decorum as a large dog snarling at a belgerent teenager is more affective than a 1000 detentions in keeping the teenager still, quiet and drug free in his chair.

Wonderer

May 2014
Missouri
It's not an awful suggestion. However, I see it as one which would, of necessity, be used selectively. There are certain settings in which this might work. And others in which it clearly would not. Ultimately, it should be up to a particular district/school board if this is a method they'd like to employ. As with most of the suggested solutions.

Reactions: 2 people

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
... Problems = allergies = I guess they could be bred to have hair not fur. ...
It's going to take more than that. Breeding dogs to be non-allergenic is tough. Currently, most non-allergenic dogs are about the size of a football, and somewhat less aerodynamic.

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2014
United States
In a classroom with no roof, providing students with umbrellas would be an improvement.

I'd still recommend a roof though, as the optimum solution.