what did you learn?

Apr 2019
down on Rue Morgue Avenue
Imagine you die and find yourself in the afterlife.

Some sentient being greets you and ushers you to a room with a pen and scroll.

he says to you, "you have lived for ___ years on earth, but your time there is over. Please write on this scroll the significant things you have learned from your journey on Earth."

what do you write (it can be about yourself, human nature, life, spirituality, etc) ?

Apr 2019
St. Peter,

people are disappointing. people are corrupted, I am corrupted. it was difficult to be trapped in a human biological body with all its urges, pains, cravings and instincts and to try to rise above them. sometimes people do good in spite of great obstacles. sometimes people do bad when the path to do good seemed obvious. trauma gets past down over generations . sometimes things were not better in the "good ole days". sometimes they were. good and evil times in history seemed cyclical. in the modern era technology seemed designed to keep us from truly thinking. forgiving and letting go of grudges is hard but important and healthy. some Christians behaved better than some atheists, some atheists behaved better than some Christians. all seemed to fall short of God's standard.

Last edited:

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
I learned that love is a very important thing in this world, possibly the universe. As essential as food, air and water.

I understand that comes across as very idealistic, but it is a truth to me.

When I myself show disdain, or anger, or even hate, I come away from it feeling a little bit lousy, slightly sick, a bit off, wrong. Like I did my heart a disservice.
As if I made a mistake.

Jan 2014
California
Imagine you die and find yourself in the afterlife.

Some sentient being greets you and ushers you to a room with a pen and scroll.

he says to you, "you have lived for ___ years on earth, but your time there is over. Please write on this scroll the significant things you have learned from your journey on Earth."

what do you write (it can be about yourself, human nature, life, spirituality, etc) ?
Mr. arcturus,

It would be interesting to read what all those who died whilst taking a selfie learned....;)

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
St. Peter,

people are disappointing. people are corrupted, I am corrupted. it was difficult to be trapped in a human biological body with all its urges, pains, cravings and instincts and to try to rise above them. sometimes people do good in spite of great obstacles. sometimes people do bad when the path to do good seemed obvious. trauma gets past down over generations . sometimes things were not better in the "good ole days". sometimes they were. good and evil times in history seemed cyclical. in the modern era technology seemed designed to keep us from truly thinking. forgiving and letting go of grudges is hard but important and healthy. some Christians behaved better than some atheists, some atheists behaved better than some Christians. all seemed to fall short of God's standard.
Were you getting paid by the word?

IOW, "people suck."

Apr 2019
I learned that love is a very important thing in this world, possibly the universe. As essential as food, air and water.

I understand that comes across as very idealistic, but it is a truth to me.

When I myself show disdain, or anger, or even hate, I come away from it feeling a little bit lousy, slightly sick, a bit off, wrong. Like I did my heart a disservice.
As if I made a mistake.

in hindsight, of writing my future letter to St. Peter, I would have mentioned (will mention) love in there somewhere. Good job!