What does the Bible say about Christmas Trees?

Jun 2014
United States
We just decorated our pagan idol today. We bought a baby little pine tree, complete with the roots. Girlfriend reckons we can keep it alive for next year on the balcony. I'm not so sure a tree that can grow 15 metres tall will survive this way - anyone know? Can we raise a bonsai spruce?

The last time we had a live Christmas tree, we did exactly that -- placed it in a bucket with potting soil so that we could use it next year. The tree survived, but by the next Christmas we elected to get an artificial tree. The kids had all moved out by then, and a live tree was just too much hassle. I planted the live tree in our yard and it has thrived. Of course, it wasn't a spruce. It's a cedar tree.

Reactions: Tedminator
Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
We just decorated our pagan idol today. We bought a baby little pine tree, complete with the roots. Girlfriend reckons we can keep it alive for next year on the balcony. I'm not so sure a tree that can grow 15 metres tall will survive this way - anyone know? Can we raise a bonsai spruce?
I would think it would be restricted in growth by the size of pot you put it in, but then I kill cactus plants, so I'm no authority!

They like cool sheltered spots, so maybe not a sunny/windy balcony!

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
Not bashing "Christians." Just pointing out what I see as an odd discrepancy between doctrine and practice. Frankly, I couldn't care less whether Christians ritually decorate chopped trees with silver and gold ornaments. It's a harmless ritual, and most practitioners enjoy it.

And yeah - many Jews, myself included, don't follow kosher dietary laws. But an important distinction is that of those Jews who DO keep kosher, virtually NONE of them will push their practices onto a non-Jew, or tell non-Jews that their "souls are doomed" for failing to follow Jewish doctrine.

lol by not getting the sarcasm in my first line you might get your jew card pulled! I agree withyou.

Reactions: Djinn

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
No one ever worshipped candles on any kind of cake, as far as I know. There is a long history of pagan tree-worship, however. Of course, since the Talmud predates the Xmas Tree, it could not have been discussing one in particular.
Nature worship predates the Abrahamic religions. I'm convinced that aspects of the jewish fire, christian trees, and muslim rock are holdovers from those ancient nature based religions.

The Kaaba is built around a sacred black stone, a meteorite that Muslims believe was placed by Abraham and Ishmael in a corner of the Kaaba, a symbol of God's covenant with Abraham and Ishmael and, by extension, with the Muslim community itself. It is embedded in the eastern corner of the Kaaba.