What Happened To Chinese Gangs?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I grew up absolutely convinced the most successful, vicious, deadly gangs in the U.S. were Chinese. Mostly in New York and California, of course. Preyed on their communities and controlled almost all the hard drug trade in the country.

Haven't heard a peep about them in decades, seems like.

Were they never as dangerous as portrayed? Did they all go legit?

Why do types of gangs come and go?

Jun 2014
United States
I grew up absolutely convinced the most successful, vicious, deadly gangs in the U.S. were Chinese. Mostly in New York and California, of course. Preyed on their communities and controlled almost all the hard drug trade in the country.

All "gangs" are small time outfits. The media choses to play them up sometimes because it attracts an audience of outrage junkies.

Jul 2014
Border Fence

I think the main reason is 'success' brings attention.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida

Which decade was that?

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Hint: ever see "Mad Men"?

Lol.
oh. no wonder I didnt see the news coverage of the chinese gangs :dopey:

Re MadMen Not yet, but I will one of these days.. I like the 50s fashion. Strange that men's hats disappeared from the fashion scene almost overnight it seems. Look at any picture from the 50s and all the men are wearing hats, then poof.. all gone.

Jun 2014
United States

Re MadMen Not yet, but I will one of these days.. I like the 50s fashion. Strange that men's hats disappeared from the fashion scene almost overnight it seems. Look at any picture from the 50s and all the men are wearing hats, then poof.. all gone.

Hats are a hassle to keep up with, and what do they really do for you? Hide your bald spot?

Jan 2016
Colorado

Not only that, but they were almost ALL fedoras. Same KIND of hat, every last one of them. I saw a picture of Times Square from the 1950's one time, and I think more than 99% of the men were wearing a Fedora. HUNDREDS of them, if not in the thousands.

I often wear a Fedora today, because I think they look cool, and to STAND OUT. Because very FEW men wear Fedoras TODAY. Heh.