What Happens to Women Denied Healthcare at Catholic Hospitals?

Sep 2012
SoCal
Religion does not belong in healthcare.

What Happens to Women Denied Healthcare at Catholic Hospitals?
Catholic healthcare systems routinely restrict medical care on religious grounds. Women often tell stories of miscarriage care denied, or of nearly bleeding to death because a hospital won’t remove a dead or dying fetus. A 2008 study found that some physicians at Catholic hospitals violate the hospitals’ religious rules because of concerns about patient safety. With Catholic hospitals comprising more than 15% of all hospital beds, the regular denial of care to women experiencing miscarriages and obstetric complications raises serious concerns about patient safety and informed consent.

The California mega-merger of Dignity Health and Catholic Health Initiatives has sounded alarm bells about women’s safety. And though legislators have attempted to enact some protections for the conglomerate’s female patients, denial of appropriate medical care remains a concern.

How Catholic Hospitals Endanger Women

...CONTINUE...

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This is a huge issue in the US. When the ACA began our insurer only covered the local Catholic hospital. No birth control or other reproductive issues. People dont realize how big a deal this is. One of the largest Catholic system, Dignity Health just bought up one of the largest hospital chains in CA. If we ever want single payer we have to take care of this and honestly I dont know where to begin.

Jun 2014
United States
I have a niece who almost died because she went to a Catholic hospital after being informed by her obstetrician that her fetus was dead. She desperately wanted a miracle, but she didn't get one. She was lucky to survive that ordeal. She should have immediately had a D&E performed, but instead, she remained hospitalized for weeks before she eventually went into labor and delivered the dead fetus.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I have a niece who almost died because she went to a Catholic hospital after being informed by her obstetrician that her fetus was dead. She desperately wanted a miracle, but she didn't get one. She was lucky to survive that ordeal. She should have immediately had a D&E performed, but instead, she remained hospitalized for weeks before she eventually went into labor and delivered the dead fetus.
Have heard that before about Catholic hospitals. Sometimes the doctors cover up procedures from the admin so they dont know what they did. Others dont. Its a growing problem as religious hospitals are able to get tax exemptions and can survive. Then they win all these court decisions on religious freedom grounds.

Nov 2016
Maryland
Well, in all fairness, I had a different, more positive experience at a Catholic hospital. I was about 8 weeks pregnant, and the OB confirmed via high resolution ultrasound that there was no fetal heartbeat. My options were to “let nature take its course,” I.e., wait to abort spontaneously, or go in for a D&C. He told me that the chances of needing a D&C after a spontaneous abortion were about 90%, so I decided to schedule the procedure, which was done at Georgetown University Medical Center outpatient surgery department. There were no hassles over ending a pregnancy when the fetus was dead.

And that was a wanted pregnancy. :coldsweat:

May 2016
Florida
For many, it seems they want to live by "let go and let god", except when it comes to institutions like hospitals with religious orientations receiving funding from taxpayers...