What has changed in the last 40 years that makes someone want to shoot up a school?

Nov 2008
Washington state
I am making a change here. Instead of me making a argument why kids or young adults are shooting up schools, this thread let’s you make a point and possible suggestions on how to curb the problem. On other threads we have blamed the police for not responded in time , or access to guns is bad. Looking for what is causing a person to even consider such a crime. Call this a fact gathering mission.

Nov 2008
Washington state
I will start with the first one. The family is working today. Children are raised by daycares. Discipline is not coming from the Parents. Schools are not allowed to discipline children like they used to.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
A violent culture combined with easy access to guns.

I didnt realize how much violence there is the US culture until I saw it from the outside looking in.. and that was back in the 80s when I was teen before school massacres were de rigueur.

Unfortunately lots of Americans dont know any better.. they incorrectly assume that the level of violence in the USA is the norm for what’s suppose to be a civilized developed nation, but in fact what’s going on in the USA now is more akin to third world shitholes.

Last edited:
Jul 2014
midwest
I agree video games that kill people is not good
And some of the most successful ones are about killing and body counts.

Those games were not around 40 years ago.

Violent movies contribute, too, but there WERE some violent movies back then.

And, agree that the loss of the family unit contributes.

Sep 2014
United States
A violent culture combined with easy access to guns.

I didnt realize how much violence there is the US culture until I saw it from the outside looking in.. and that was back in the 80s when I was teen before school massacres were de rigueur.

Unfortunately lots of Americans dont know any better.. they incorrectly assume that the level of violence in the USA is the norm for what’s suppose to be a civilized developed nation, but in fact what’s going on in the USA now is more akin to third world shitholes.

Access to guns isn’t easier today then in the past. When I was in High School kids had gun racks in the back window of pickups with loaded guns in them. Schools were not getting shot up.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Violent video games, among other reasons.
I agree. The over the top glorification of guns in our country does contribute to it. I wouldn't put too much on video games specifically though. Those same games you're worried about are played around the world, including in countries who don't have the kind of mass shooting problems we do.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Violent video games, among other reasons.
I agree. The over the top glorification of guns in our country does contribute to it. I wouldn't put too much on video games specifically though. Those same games you're worried about are played around the world, including in countries who don't have the kind of mass shooting problems we do.
Violent video games is just a reflection of this country's culture, a country thats constantly at war... it affects the psyche of everyone when being at constant war is the norm.

I still remember when the USA invaded Granada and it was a big deal, but since then it seems like the USA has been at war somewhere ever since.

Last edited: