What has Trump done for people who sincerely sought his help?

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
In the Current Events post about Elizabeth Warren getting a warm welcome and nodding response in a West Virginia town, you get the impression that there is a swath of voters who truly thought Trump would help them. They seem willing to listen to an east coast professor lady by way of Oklahoma.

So what has Trump done to fulfill his promises to people who used to put their kids through college on mining and manufacturing but now are lucky to work at Walmart?

Is Appalachia better off?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
In the Current Events post about Elizabeth Warren getting a warm welcome and nodding response in a West Virginia town, you get the impression that there is a swath of voters who truly thought Trump would help them. They seem willing to listen to an east coast professor lady by way of Oklahoma.

So what has Trump done to fulfill his promises to people who used to put their kids through college on mining and manufacturing but now are lucky to work at Walmart?

Is Appalachia better off?
Its a social issue sort of thing. I would bet if you could directly ask voters in WVA certain economic questions about SS, Medicare, VA, healthcare, foreign policy etc you would find they might agree more with Ds than Rs. However once you start asking about abortion, guns, religion they run back to the Rs. One thing that always sticks out in my mind is a friend of ours who was a lifelong D. He switched in 2016. When we asked why he said "Its because Dems want to take the fun out of life. They want to take away our guns, regulate us to death and make us all one worlders." He was really serious about it. I think that sums it up for many in these red areas.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Its a social issue sort of thing. I would bet if you could directly ask voters in WVA certain economic questions about SS, Medicare, VA, healthcare, foreign policy etc you would find they might agree more with Ds than Rs. However once you start asking about abortion, guns, religion they run back to the Rs. One thing that always sticks out in my mind is a friend of ours who was a lifelong D. He switched in 2016. When we asked why he said "Its because Dems want to take the fun out of life. They want to take away our guns, regulate us to death and make us all one worlders." He was really serious about it. I think that sums it up for many in these red areas.
Blue dog Democrats.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Blue dog Democrats.
Yes. I think the national media scares them off. Progressives scare them too. Also dont forget there is some overlap between Trumps trade/tariffs and union dems like Sherrod Brown, Bernie Sanders and Warren. They all were against NAFTA and the TPP. These voters saw those as the biggest threat to them. So they might consider supporting them based on economics.

May 2013
Boise, ID
He hasn't done anything to help the lower to middle classes in Appalachia, Rustbelt or anywhere else. Many of his voters are even worse off thanks to his tax cuts for the Trump kids and idiotic trade war. But a majority are still hanging with him. Masochist Lemmings.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
He hasn't done anything to help the lower to middle classes in Appalachia, Rustbelt or anywhere else. Many of his voters are even worse off thanks to his tax cuts for the Trump kids and idiotic trade war. But a majority are still hanging with him. Masochist Lemmings.

At the end of the day for some, it just boils down to the courts. They like who he puts on even though they dont like him. He is the temporary they have to tolerate to get the long term they desire.