What If Goldwater Had Been President?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Specifically, if LBJ had not? What if the horrible mistake of the Great Society had not occurred?

What better way to relieve poverty might have been found?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
My view is, if we had attacked unemployment in the ghettos, etc., black Americans would be MUCH better off today.

Programs like WPA, and the Small Business Administration, and REALLY investing in public schools.

Whaca think?

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
What if GW Bush had not been elected, where would the deficit be without the great recession? I like a good "what if" scenario, but Goldwater is as ancient as asking what if Lincoln had not been elected.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
What if GW Bush had not been elected, where would the deficit be without the great recession? I like a good "what if" scenario, but Goldwater is as ancient as asking what if Lincoln had not been elected.
This is the history forum.

(And you wound me, lol.)

I haven't watched yet, but the documentary "The Great Society, 50 Years Later" looks on point.

Free on YouTube.

Last edited:
Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
My view is, if we had attacked unemployment in the ghettos, etc., black Americans would be MUCH better off today.

Programs like WPA, and the Small Business Administration, and REALLY investing in public schools.

Whaca think?
Lets look at Goldwater's platform and see what his objectives were:

1. Every person has the right to govern himself, to fix his own goals, and to make his own way with a minimum of governmental interference.
2. It is for government to foster and maintain an environment of freedom encouraging every individual to develop to the fullest his God-given powers of mind, heart and body; and, beyond this, government should undertake only needful things, rightly of public concern, which the citizen cannot himself accomplish.
Nothing there that would do a fucking thing for minorities, the same old bootstrap GOP bullshit.

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1964

And I voted for Goldwater, my first Presidential vote, I had been reading Ayn Rand and was still under the influence of the kool-aid.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Lets look at Goldwater's platform and see what his objectives were:

Nothing there that would do a fucking thing for minorities, the same old bootstrap GOP bullshit.

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1964

And I voted for Goldwater, my first Presidential vote, I had been reading Ayn Rand and was still under the influence of the kool-aid.
Tbh, I don't consider myself well-educated about Goldwater. I rely too much on my memory, and an trying to find a good documentary, book, etc. now.

But he most certainly did champion the opposition to the Great Society programs.

Which were, as you might recall, Medicare and Medicaid, Welfare (Aid to Families With Dependent Children, now known as Temporary Aid to Families in Need), food stamps, expansion of public housing, etc.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Tbh, I don't consider myself well-educated about Goldwater. I rely too much on my memory, and an trying to find a good documentary, book, etc. now.

But he most certainly did champion the opposition to the Great Society programs.

Which were, as you might recall, Medicare and Medicaid, Welfare (Aid to Families With Dependent Children, now known as Temporary Aid to Families in Need), food stamps, expansion of public housing, etc.
Me and millions of other seniors thank God for Medicare every day.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Me and millions of other seniors thank God for Medicare every day.
Except that it is not adequate. Too many seniors must fall into dire poverty and try to qualify for Medicaid as well, in order to avoid homelessness, etc. when they need skilled nursing care, etc. Prescription drug coverage is almost nonexistent. Medical equipment, mental health, etc. are not covered in any meaningful way.

Medicare, like Obamacare, derailed the movement for universal health care and has done so without meeting the needs of anyone, adquately.

Last edited:
Jun 2014
United States
Except that it is not adequate. Too many seniors must fall into dire poverty and try to qualify for Medicaid as well, in order to avoid homelessness, etc. when they need skilled nursing care, etc. Prescription drug coverage is almost nonexistent. Medical equipment, mental health, etc. are not covered in any meaningful way.

Medicare, like Obamacare, detailed the movement for universal health care and has some so without meeting the needs of anyone, adquately.

So then, in your quest for that which is perfect, you curse the efforts to create that which is merely good?

That's the kind of "burn it all down" attitude that put Donald Trump into the White House.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
So then, in your quest for that which is perfect, you curse the efforts to create that which is merely good?

That's the kind of "burn it all down" attitude that put Donald Trump into the White House.
Republicans fight to the death to stop any progressive ideas like Medicare or any form of UHC, then bitch that the Democrats did a shitty job ….