What Is "Fake News"?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I have been informed by more than a few conservatives on PH that FOX is the gold standard now for journalistic excellence.

I am also informed that the BBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, MSNBC, CNBC, etc. all fall so far below the FOX gold standard that reasonable people cannot expect to be kept informed by viewing them.

Likewise the NYT, HuffPo, Politico, Mother Jones, The Hill, etc.

So, I thought it might be Illuminating to explore what extreme truthfulness FOX demonstrated that has so decimated every other news outlet.

Kindly post examples, please. I am really confused by these new standards.

Reactions: 4 people

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
I probably do not fit the profile you are looking for, but I will return to any source of news that has demonstrated the capacity for real journalism, focusing on quotes and facts and minimizing opinion. I have found such news in many places. But since you are asking for a Fox example, I recommend this timely report that was discounted at the time, but proved to be far more accurate than what most media outlets provided.

[video=youtube;AY7ExPd9sq0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY7ExPd9sq0[/video]

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I probably do not fit the profile you are looking for, but I will return to any source of news that has demonstrated the capacity for real journalism, focusing on quotes and facts and minimizing opinion. I have found such news in many places. But since you are asking for a Fox example, I recommend this timely report that was discounted at the time, but proved to be far more accurate than what most media outlets provided.

[video=youtube;AY7ExPd9sq0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY7ExPd9sq0[/video]
ALL of them confabulate hard news with opinion, and ALL of them have strong biases. Including FOX.

But seriously.....is FOX's overall record for fair and balanced reporting good ENOUGH? Are the records of these other news outlets substantially worse, overall, IYO?

I appreciate that you don't feel other news organizations did a deep enough dive on Benghazi as soon as they should have, and you could be correct.

But which one fairly reported on the Chicago PD scandals that broke this past year? Or the Standing Rock protest? Which one adequately covered the Russian hacking at the DNC? Or the Flint water crisis?

Not FOX.

May 2012
By the wall
I have been informed by more than a few conservatives on PH that FOX is the gold standard now for journalistic excellence.

I am also informed that the BBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, MSNBC, CNBC, etc. all fall so far below the FOX gold standard that reasonable people cannot expect to be kept informed by viewing them.

Likewise the NYT, HuffPo, Politico, Mother Jones, The Hill, etc.

So, I thought it might be Illuminating to explore what extreme truthfulness FOX demonstrated that has so decimated every other news outlet.

Kindly post examples, please. I am really confused by these new standards.
I haven't heard a single person claim FOX is the standard for excellence.

Any links for that?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I haven't heard a single person claim FOX is the standard for excellence.

Any links for that?
I'll look. Seems like at least 4 people made this surprising claim to me just yesterday.

I recall [MENTION=26928]excalibur[/MENTION] did, on Babba's life expectancy thread.

Dec 2014
Finland
President of USA - most powerful man of the world (who gets all information needed from secret services etc..) said that CNN and NBC, ABC, CBS, NY Times etc.. are fake news, but also enemy of the people. He obviously knows something about those news-sites that we don`t know and we must accept it. All other claims are just ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Fox News on the other hand is reliable news-source and not fake news, because President of USA said so. All other claims are just ridiculous tinhat conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
May 2012
By the wall
FOX by far has the best breaking news coverage without a doubt.

The rest of their network is just like everyone else though as for biased coverage.

Mar 2008
The last place I lost my keys.
There is no such thing as "Fake News". There is News and the rest are lies, opinions, rumors, propaganda and hearsay.

Reactions: 3 people

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Everybody else is wrong and only Trump, Fox news, Breibart and the third of the population that are hard-core Trump supporters really know what's going on. :stupid:

Reactions: 2 people

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
ALL of them confabulate hard news with opinion, and ALL of them have strong biases. Including FOX.

But seriously.....is FOX's overall record for fair and balanced reporting good ENOUGH? Are the records of these other news outlets substantially worse, overall, IYO?

I appreciate that you don't feel other news organizations did a deep enough dive on Benghazi as soon as they should have, and you could be correct.

But which one fairly reported on the Chicago PD scandals that broke this past year? Or the Standing Rock protest? Which one adequately covered the Russian hacking at the DNC? Or the Flint water crisis?

Not FOX.
I only said that Fox was capable of journalism, not that it is an exemplar for journalism. I would rate The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The New York Times and NPR as places you can find solid journalism. In all cases, you must ignore the editorial content, how pieces are positioned and stories that remain unreported. The Times used to be the standard, but it has slipped quite a lot. Among media (as opposed to newspapers) my favorite is NPR.

My guideline for finding the truth is to go to the source whose bias drives them to investigate deeply and look for whatever pieces they do that are well sourced and full of primary source quotes. This was exactly the case with the Fox video quoted above. Al Jazerra had the best press report and it mentioned the same theories of the attack as Fox.

Last edited: